I with force/momentum/vectors

• Thread starter melaku
  • Start date
In summary, there is a rod held up by two strings at 45 and 60 degrees with tensions of 71 lb and 100 lb respectively. The net horizontal force on the rod is 0 and the net upward force is 137 lb, which is equal to the weight of the rod.
melaku
I am asked to do this.

"A uniform beam is attached to two springs scales as shown. The scales read 71 lb and 100 lb respectively. Find the wight of the beam."

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phy8wq.png

I have no idea how to go on about solving this. please someone explain it to me like you would explain it to a child.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not being awkward, but I don't understand the diagram one bit.

My guess is that the diagram is meant to show a rod held up by two strings,
one at 45 degrees with a tensiion of 71#, and the other at 60 degrees from the horizontal with a tension of 100#. This is consistent with their being no net horizontal force on the rod.
The net horizontal force is 100 cos 60 - 71 sin 45=0 (as it should).
The net upward force on the stick is 100 sin 60 + 71 sin 45 =87 + 50 = 137#,
which equals the weight of the stick.

I reccomended him here for help guys, don't make me look bad:)

That diagram IS funky though

What is force and how is it related to momentum?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or energy required to move an object. It is related to momentum in the sense that a force acting on an object can cause it to accelerate and therefore change its momentum. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in momentum.

What is the difference between force and momentum?

While both are related to the movement of objects, force and momentum are two distinct physical quantities. Force is a vector quantity that describes the amount of energy needed to change an object's motion, while momentum is also a vector quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has based on its mass and velocity.

How do forces affect the motion of objects?

Forces can affect the motion of objects in various ways. If an object experiences a net force in a certain direction, it will accelerate in that direction. If the forces acting on an object are balanced, the object will maintain a constant velocity. Additionally, forces can also cause objects to change direction or rotate.

What are vectors and how are they used in physics?

Vectors are a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. In physics, they are used to describe quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. Vectors are also used to calculate the net force acting on an object, which determines its acceleration and subsequent motion.

How can we calculate the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula can be used for both linear and angular momentum, depending on the direction of the object's motion.