Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I need more help

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    i came acreoss a problem thats red like this ,wats the integral of x^x i gev it all i could so can anyone help me,furthermore wats the integral ,of a fuction raised 2 another e.g x^x,e^[x^2],cos[x]^[sin[x].and so on

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of them,viz.[itex] \int \mbox{exp} \left(x^{2}\right) \ dx [/itex],can be expressed as function of the "common" special functions (the erf of imaginary argument).The other that u mentioned cannot...

Daniel.

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Where are you getting these problems? None of these functions can be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4
    Just a quick thought: what about breaking x^x into a product. For instance x^x = [x^(x-1)]*x^1 and then try integration by parts. It's been a while since my calculus days but that sounds like something I might have tried.

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's usless.Here's why.

[tex] \int x^{x} \ dx =\int x^{x-1} x \ dx=\frac{x^{x-1}x^{2}}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\int x^{x-1}\left[x(x-1)+x^{2}\ln x\right] \ dx [/tex]

and the second integral looks horrible...

Daniel.

7. Apr 27, 2005 #6
    hey thnxs for all but they still do not help ,

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook