What Is the Integral of Functions Like x^x, e^[x^2], and cos[x]^[sin[x]?

• Thread starter abia ubong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the integral of various functions, including x^x, e^[x^2], and cos[x]^[sin[x]]. One participant suggests using integration by parts for x^x, but the other points out that it is not possible to integrate any of these functions in terms of elementary functions. The original problem that the person came across cannot be solved using the suggested methods.
abia ubong
i came acreoss a problem that's red like this ,wats the integral of x^x i gev it all i could so can anyone help me,furthermore wats the integral ,of a fuction raised 2 another e.g x^x,e^[x^2],cos[x]^[sin[x].and so on

Physics news on Phys.org
One of them,viz.[itex] \int \mbox{exp} \left(x^{2}\right) \ dx [/itex],can be expressed as function of the "common" special functions (the erf of imaginary argument).The other that u mentioned cannot...

Daniel.

Where are you getting these problems? None of these functions can be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

Just a quick thought: what about breaking x^x into a product. For instance x^x = [x^(x-1)]*x^1 and then try integration by parts. It's been a while since my calculus days but that sounds like something I might have tried.

It's usless.Here's why.

[tex] \int x^{x} \ dx =\int x^{x-1} x \ dx=\frac{x^{x-1}x^{2}}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\int x^{x-1}\left[x(x-1)+x^{2}\ln x\right] \ dx [/tex]

and the second integral looks horrible...

Daniel.

hey thnxs for all but they still do not help ,

FAQ: What Is the Integral of Functions Like x^x, e^[x^2], and cos[x]^[sin[x]?

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is the opposite operation of differentiation, and is used to find the original function given its derivative.

How do you find the integral of a function?

The process of finding the integral of a function is called integration. It involves finding an antiderivative of the function and then adding a constant of integration. This can be done using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals.

What is x^x and how do you integrate it?

x^x is a function with a variable base and exponent. It is also known as an exponential function. To integrate x^x, we first rewrite it as e^(xlnx), and then use the integration by parts technique.

Why is finding the integral of x^x challenging?

Finding the integral of x^x is challenging because it does not have a simple antiderivative. It requires the use of advanced integration techniques and can be time-consuming. Moreover, the integration of x^x involves the constant e, which is a transcendental number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal.

What are some real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have various real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics and engineering problems, finding the volume of irregular shapes in calculus, and determining the total distance traveled by an object given its velocity function in kinematics. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

Back