1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need more help

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    i came acreoss a problem thats red like this ,wats the integral of x^x i gev it all i could so can anyone help me,furthermore wats the integral ,of a fuction raised 2 another e.g x^x,e^[x^2],cos[x]^[sin[x].and so on

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of them,viz.[itex] \int \mbox{exp} \left(x^{2}\right) \ dx [/itex],can be expressed as function of the "common" special functions (the erf of imaginary argument).The other that u mentioned cannot...

Daniel.

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where are you getting these problems? None of these functions can be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4
    Just a quick thought: what about breaking x^x into a product. For instance x^x = [x^(x-1)]*x^1 and then try integration by parts. It's been a while since my calculus days but that sounds like something I might have tried.

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's usless.Here's why.

[tex] \int x^{x} \ dx =\int x^{x-1} x \ dx=\frac{x^{x-1}x^{2}}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\int x^{x-1}\left[x(x-1)+x^{2}\ln x\right] \ dx [/tex]

and the second integral looks horrible...

Daniel.

7. Apr 27, 2005 #6
    hey thnxs for all but they still do not help ,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?