I need some help with my linear equations homework

In summary, to determine if an equation represents a linear function, you can look at its form, which is f(x) = ax + b. To solve a problem involving this type of function, you can first create a table with x and y values, then use the equation to find the corresponding y values. Finally, you can graph the points on a set of axes. It's important to attempt solving the problem on your own, even if you are new to the topic and may need some extra help.
ineedhelp23
alright

can anyone tell me how to determine weather or not the equation represents a linear function?

and i have a few more questions to

please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) = ax + b represents linear function.

ok how dose that help me solve this problem

y=3x

i have to graph it and put it in a table can you help me?

Do the table first. Make one column x, and the other column y. Pick a few integers, centered around 0 (such as -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3), and put them under x. Then, use your equation to find the corresponding y values.

Draw a set of axes, and label them x and y. Number them, with a scale that makes sense. Now, put each of the points you found in the table on the graph.

I'm being a little more generous than people here usually are, as you seem to be really new at this. However, you are usually expected to show some attempt at solving your own work.

alright thanks

i am new at this stuff and my teacher sucks at teaching me so this really helps me

thats all of the help i need

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It is in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, or where the line intersects the y-axis.

How do I solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable (usually represented by x) on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any constants or coefficients that are attached to the variable. For example, if you have the equation 2x + 3 = 9, you can solve for x by subtracting 3 from both sides, then dividing both sides by 2 to get x = 3.

What are some common mistakes when solving linear equations?

Some common mistakes when solving linear equations include forgetting to perform an operation on both sides of the equation, mixing up the order of operations, and making errors with signs (positive and negative). It is important to carefully follow the rules of algebra and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Why do I need to graph linear equations?

Graphing linear equations helps to visually represent the relationship between two variables and can provide a better understanding of the solution. It can also help to check your work and see if the solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some real-life applications of linear equations?

Linear equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of goods or services, determining the speed of an object, and predicting future values based on a trend. They are also used in fields like engineering, economics, and physics to model and solve real-world problems.