I need to find the function of f with given data

In summary: I get an error message that says "invalid input"In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where they are given two equations with two unknowns. The student is unsure about how to use the logarithm and gets an error message when trying to solve the problem.
mimi.janson

Homework Statement

Hi

I need to determine ragulatory for f, where the expiration time is measured as the function of the temperature.

The function type is f(t)=b*at

i get two pair of datas which are that for -15 °C the expiration day will be after 200 and by -5 ° the expiration day will be after 10 days

Homework Equations

I know that t is the temperature and f(t) must be the days, and i need to determine a regulatory for f, which means i need to find a and b i think

so i should maybe put my given informations in f(t)=b*at which will be

200=b*a-15

and

10=b*a-5

then i shall isolate b

200/a-15 =b and 10/a-5 =b

these to get put up agains each other so a can be solved.

200*a-5 =10*a-15

now i solve a

200=10*a-20

a=tenth√(200/10)

a=1.16

But it is wrong and i don't get why so can someone please help me??

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mimi.janson said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I need to determine ragulatory for f, where the expiration time is measured as the function of the temperature.

The function type is f(t)=b*at

i get two pair of datas which are that for -15 °C the expiration day will be after 200 and by -5 ° the expiration day will be after 10 days

Homework Equations

I know that t is the temperature and f(t) must be the days, and i need to determine a regulatory for f, which means i need to find a and b i think

so i should maybe put my given informations in f(t)=b*at which will be

200=b*a-15

and

10=b*a-5

then i shall isolate b

200/a-15 =b and 10/a-5 =b

these to get put up agains each other so a can be solved.

200*a-5 =10*a-15

now i solve a

200=10*a-20
Oops! Check your exponent work; you want to multiply both sides by a5.

Otherwise, you seem to be doing okay :smile:

gneill said:
Oops! Check your exponent work; you want to multiply both sides by a5.

Otherwise, you seem to be doing okay :smile:

thank youu but sorry i cannot see on which step of the ones i have to do it but is it right if i think what you are telling me is what happens in the third last of my steps?

200*a-5*a5 =10*a-15*a5?? but i don't know how to solve it when it is written like this

mimi.janson said:

thank youu but sorry i cannot see on which step of the ones i have to do it but is it right if i think what you are telling me is what happens in the third last of my steps?

200*a-5*a5 =10*a-15*a5?? but i don't know how to solve it when it is written like this

Yes, that's where I see a problem. You wanted to get rid of the a-5 on the left so you divided both sides by a-5, which is the same thing as multiplying both sides by a5. But you made a mistake handling the exponents on the right hand side.

What's ##a^{-15}\cdot a^5## ?

gneill said:
Yes, that's where I see a problem. You wanted to get rid of the a-5 on the left so you divided both sides by a-5, which is the same thing as multiplying both sides by a5. But you made a mistake handling the exponents on the right hand side.

What's ##a^{-15}\cdot a^5## ?

that would be a-75?

so then i solve a

200=10*a-75

a=-75th √(200/10)

but is there not a rule saying that i cannot take the -xsquaroot of something and i have -75?

and should i also keep going and find b like or does one thing need to be undefined to have a function?

Okay, you should review your laws of exponents:

##a^x \cdot a^y = a^{x+y}##

##\frac{a^x}{a^y} = a^{x-y}##

gneill said:
Okay, you should review your laws of exponents:

##a^x \cdot a^y = a^{x+y}##

##\frac{a^x}{a^y} = a^{x-y}##

then i say -15 + 5 which would be -10? but you know its the - infront of 10 that's bugging me...because it can't be a minus since i have to take the square root of it later

mimi.janson said:
then i say -15 + 5 which would be -10? but you know its the - infront of 10 that's bugging me...because it can't be a minus since i have to take the square root of it later

No, you shouldn't have to take the square root of a negative number. From your previous work, and repairing the exponent math, the equation is:

##200 = 10 a^{-10}##

##20 = a^{-10}##

You can proceed using exponent rules, or use logarithms.

gneill said:
No, you shouldn't have to take the square root of a negative number. From your previous work, and repairing the exponent math, the equation is:

##200 = 10 a^{-10}##

##20 = a^{-10}##

You can proceed using exponent rules, or use logarithms.

well I am not sure about how to use the logarithm, but i tried solving it with a program that we also use, and what do i do if i get 5 relsults put in a parensesis and under each other

-0,538+0,93li (i don't know what li strands for)
-0,538-0,93li

i believe i should use that a is 1,075 so do i need to find the b too? because i don't get how to make an f function out of it now

mimi.janson said:
well I am not sure about how to use the logarithm, but i tried solving it with a program that we also use, and what do i do if i get 5 relsults put in a parensesis and under each other

-0,538+0,93li (i don't know what li strands for)
-0,538-0,93li

i believe i should use that a is 1,075 so do i need to find the b too? because i don't get how to make an f function out of it now

The "i" stands for ##\sqrt{-1}##. Those are called "imaginary" numbers (as opposed to the "real" numbers that you're used to), and you'll learn about them at a later date.

What you're looking for here will be real numbers, so when you take the nth root of a real number you want what's called the "principle value".

Here you can continue to simplify your expression to make it simpler to solve.

##20 = a^{-10}##

##20^{-\frac{1}{10}} = a~~~~~~## {raised both sides to the -1/10 to isolate a}

##a = \frac{1}{20^{1/10}}~~~~~~## {moved "20" to denominator to clear negative}

So you need to find the 10th root of 20, then take its inverse.

Once you have a value for a you can plug it into either of the original expressions to solve for b.

gneill said:
The "i" stands for ##\sqrt{-1}##.

##20 = a^{-10}##

##20^{-\frac{1}{10}} = a~~~~~~## {raised both sides to the -1/10 to isolate a}

##a = \frac{1}{20^{1/10}}~~~~~~## {moved "20" to denominator to clear negative}

So you need to find the 10th root of 20, then take its inverse.

Once you have a value for a you can plug it into either of the original expressions to solve for b.

i don't get how you go from a-10 to -1/10 ? how do you get the 1 ?

ok so i got the 10th root of 20 to be 1,349

and i put it in the expression for b so

200/1,349-15=1,783*104

and

10/1,349-5=44,675

but this shows i did something wrong since my two attempts at finding b were not the same or the two pairs of numbers I've got

mimi.janson said:
i don't get how you go from a-10 to -1/10 ? how do you get the 1 ?

Exponent rules (you should become very familiar with them):
$$(a^x)^y = a^{x\cdot y}$$
Here the exponent of a is -10 and you'd like it to be 1. So ##(-10) \cdot \left(-\frac{1}{10}\right) = 1##. The same operation is applied to the 20 on the other side of the equation in order to keep the equation balanced.
ok so i got the 10th root of 20 to be 1,349
Hmm, that seems unlikely. Surely 20th root of 20 should be less than 20 itself?
How did you obtain the value?

gneill said:
Exponent rules (you should become very familiar with them):
$$(a^x)^y = a^{x\cdot y}$$
Here the exponent of a is -10 and you'd like it to be 1.

I said the 10th root of 200/10...but i know its wrong now...i just tried again and got a = 0,741 isn't that right and b=2,3?

I know i might be irritating because i keep asking and i really don't hope I am bothering you too much but i really still don't get the exponent rule you used last, they are even shown in my math book but i simply don't get it.

yes i would like it to be one but how did you know that i would have to say - 1/10 ? i mean i wouldn't know that you had to use a 1, and when i compare what is done it does not look like that rule at all ax*y i mean it even contains a division where we are using multiplikation

mimi.janson said:
I said the 10th root of 200/10...but i know its wrong now...i just tried again and got a = 0,741 isn't that right and b=2,3?
Yes, that looks good.
I know i might be irritating because i keep asking and i really don't hope I am bothering you too much but i really still don't get the exponent rule you used last, they are even shown in my math book but i simply don't get it.

yes i would like it to be one but how did you know that i would have to say - 1/10 ? i mean i wouldn't know that you had to use a 1, and when i compare what is done it does not look like that rule at all ax*y i mean it even contains a division where we are using multiplikation

Okay, let's consider the object ##a^{-10}##. It's exponent is currently -10. If I wish to make the exponent 1, I need to divide it by -10, right? But dividing by -10 is the same as multiplying by ##\frac{1}{-10}##. Putting it in the form of the given exponent rule, letting ##x = -10## and ##y = -\frac{1}{10}##, then

$$(a^x)^y = a^{xy} = a^{-10 \frac{1}{-10}} = a^\frac{-10}{-10} = a^1 = a$$

So I chose -1/10 in order to clear the -10 from the exponent of a.

And of course, if you do something to one side of an equation, you have to do the same thing to the other side in order to retain equality.

gneill said:
Yes, that looks good.

Okay, let's consider the object ##a^{-10}##. It's exponent is currently -10. If I wish to make the exponent 1, I need to divide it by -10, right? But dividing by -10 is the same as multiplying by ##\frac{1}{-10}##. Putting it in the form of the given exponent rule, letting ##x = -10## and ##y = -\frac{1}{10}##, then

$$(a^x)^y = a^{xy} = a^{-10 \frac{1}{-10}} = a^\frac{-10}{-10} = a^1 = a$$

So I chose -1/10 in order to clear the -10 from the exponent of a.

And of course, if you do something to one side of an equation, you have to do the same thing to the other side in order to retain equality.

so if i divided -10 by -10 it would also be the right and same result?

mimi.janson said:
so if i divided -10 by -10 it would also be the right and same result?

Sure. Note that on the other side of the equation you have 20, with an assumed exponent of 1. Dividing the exponent by -10 gives ##20^{-1/10}##, the same as before.

1. What is the purpose of finding the function of f with given data?

The purpose of finding the function of f with given data is to understand the relationship between the input (independent variable) and the output (dependent variable) and to be able to predict future values.

2. How do I find the function of f with given data?

To find the function of f with given data, you can use various mathematical techniques such as regression analysis or curve fitting. These methods involve analyzing the data and finding a mathematical equation that best represents the relationship between the input and output variables.

3. What types of data are needed to find the function of f?

The data needed to find the function of f include the input (independent variable) and output (dependent variable) values. These can be in the form of numerical data, such as values of x and y, or they can be in the form of categorical data, such as different categories or groups.

4. Can I use any type of function to represent my data?

It depends on the type of data you have and the relationship between the input and output variables. In some cases, a linear function may be suitable, while in others, a quadratic or exponential function may be a better fit. It is important to choose the appropriate function that best represents your data.

5. What are some ways to validate the accuracy of the function found?

One way to validate the accuracy of the function found is by using the function to predict values and comparing them to the actual values. Another way is to use statistical measures such as the coefficient of determination (R-squared) or the root mean squared error (RMSE) to evaluate how well the function fits the data.