Newton’s Second Law applied: F=ma

In summary, the question asks about the relationship between the acceleration of two blocks, A and B, when the force on B is twice that on A and the mass of B is half that of A. However, the given options do not provide a clear answer to the question and the diagram does not match the text. It would be beneficial to solve the problem algebraically using symbols for the masses, forces, and accelerations.
adams_695
Homework Statement
you have block A being pulled with a force. You then have block B which has an increase in mass of half the mass of the original block ( adding another 1/2 mass).

You also double the force block B is being pulled with compared to Block A.

What is the change in acceleration to block B??
Relevant Equations
F=ma
My attempt at solving this written out with random inputs

Block A- F(100)=M(10)A(10)

Block B- F(200)= M(15) A

A=200/15 = 13.33

This was not in line with options.. which were

4x block A
(1/4) block A
Equal to block A
(1/2) block A
2x block A

Much appreciated some help as I am a beginner

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your statement of the problem is muddled. Is this a translation?

Also, your answer of 13.33 units is relative to an acceleration of 10 units for A.

It's better to work alebraically in these cases; rather than inventing some numbers for masses and forces.

PeroK said:
I think your statement of the problem is muddled. Is this a translation?

Also, your answer of 13.33 units is relative to an acceleration of 10 units for A.

It's better to work alebraically in these cases; rather than inventing some numbers for masses and forces.

Thanks for the response. Just started out with physics and trying to wrap my head around it all.

The question is basically asking if you double the force and increase the mass by another half then what will acceleration increase/decrease by.

My first post on here also and tried to follow the guide appropriately

adams_695 said:
The question is basically asking if you double the force and increase the mass by another half then what will acceleration increase by.

Given that the answer to that question is not in the list of options, I doubt that is The question.

What about:

If B has half the mass of A and is subjected to twice the force, how does the acceleration of B compare with that of A?

Might that be the question?

PeroK said:
Given that the answer to that question is not in the list of options, I doubt that is The question.

What about:

If B has half the mass of A and is subjected to twice the force, how does the acceleration of B compare with that of A?

Just for entire clarity this is the photo I just took of the question. Thanks for helping
E1ED16B1-FBF2-4F3E-BC08-38546919C11D.jpeg

PeroK said:

What about:

Sorry didn’t upload properly before. Fixed it above

adams_695 said:
Just for entire clarity this is the photo I just took of the question. Thanks for helpingView attachment 247105
Well, the diagram shows the same force in each case, which contradicts the text.

In either case, none of the options answers the question.

Can you do the problem as stated, using symbols for the masses, forces and accelerations?

That might be a good exercise.

1. What is Newton’s Second Law of Motion?

Newton’s Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton’s Second Law applied in F=ma?

In F=ma, F represents the net force acting on an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula shows how the acceleration of an object is affected by the net force and its mass.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton’s Second Law?

According to Newton’s Second Law, the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and its acceleration. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

4. Can Newton’s Second Law be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton’s Second Law can be applied to all objects, regardless of their size or shape. As long as there is a net force acting on an object, its acceleration can be calculated using F=ma.

5. How does air resistance affect Newton’s Second Law?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. This means that it can affect the acceleration of an object by reducing the net force acting on it. In situations where air resistance is significant, the formula F=ma may not accurately predict the object’s acceleration.