I need to learn inorganic chemistry

In summary, the person's knowledge of inorganic chemistry is starting to slow down their understanding of some topics related to their research. They are looking for a book that can teach them the more of the fundamentals of inorganic chemistry, but also something that will set them up with a foundation to learn electrochemistry and polymer chemistry. They found a book that they think will be good for this, and they are going to purchase it.
Topher925
My knowledge (or lack of it) when it comes to inorganic chemistry is starting to slow down my understanding of some topics related to my research. I know the basics of chemistry, just about what you would learn in an intro chem course but that's it. I'm looking for a book that can teach me the more of the fundamentals of inorganic chem but also something that will set me up with a foundation to learn electrochemistry and polymer chemistry. Anyone have any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well.. Gee. Inorganic, polymer and electrochem are pretty much as different as subjects get in chemistry.
You're not going to find any book that'll cover all those three topics in detail. Get a general chemistry textbook (e.g. "Chemistry-Molecules, matter and change", Jones & Atkins).

If you know all that, or once you do, you can go on to textbooks for the other three. I'd recommend "Inorganic Chemistry" by Shriver, Atkins, Langford for that subject. It's not a very exciting textbook, but it's got pretty much everything in it so it's the only inorganic book most chemists would ever need.
(And I'd really like to know who borrowed my copy and didn't return it.. Grr.)

I figured I wasn't going to find anything that covered all three, but I just wanted something that will give the be basis to learn about electro and polymer chemistry. Things like bonding types, how to calculate reaction energies, etc. I'll check out your recommendations and hopefully they have international editions.

Topher925 said:
I figured I wasn't going to find anything that covered all three, but I just wanted something that will give the be basis to learn about electro and polymer chemistry. Things like bonding types, how to calculate reaction energies, etc. I'll check out your recommendations and hopefully they have international editions.

That sounds like first year chemistry. I took first year organic chemistry as a graduate student (not for credit, and basically for access to the labs)

Housecroft - Inorganic Chemistry is what I used. It wasn't bad.

While reading some of these text previews I think I'm better off just starting from the beginning. I didn't realize how much I have forgotten about chemistry.

Alxm, I found the book your recommended on https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...+matter+and+change&x=0&y=0"&tag=pfamazon01-20 and while it has terrible reviews, its so cheap I think I have no choice but to purchase it. Hopefully, it will get me up to speed quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I need to learn inorganic chemistry

1. What is inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is the study of chemical compounds that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds. This includes elements, minerals, metals, and their reactions.

2. Why is it important to learn inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is important because it helps us understand the properties and behaviors of non-organic substances. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental science.

3. What are some common topics covered in inorganic chemistry?

Some common topics in inorganic chemistry include atomic structure, periodic trends, chemical bonding, coordination compounds, acids and bases, and redox reactions.

4. How is inorganic chemistry different from organic chemistry?

The main difference between inorganic and organic chemistry is the types of compounds they study. Organic chemistry focuses on carbon-based compounds, while inorganic chemistry studies all other elements and their compounds.

5. What are some practical applications of inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry has many practical applications, such as developing new materials for technology and medicine, creating new catalysts for industrial processes, and understanding the environmental effects of chemical compounds.