I on building a mousetrap car.

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a mousetrap car with specific requirements of not using any materials for their original purpose. The desired outcome is a large and lightweight car with fast acceleration and long distance capabilities. The speaker requests for a list of materials and a step-by-step guide from someone who has already built one, but also expresses the desire to use their own creativity for a sense of accomplishment. The conversation ends with the speaker providing some suggestions for the car's design, but emphasizing that it is ultimately up to the listener to decide which suggestions to use.
davie08
the instructions for building it is that we can't use anything for the car that would be used in its original purpose so like for wheels we couldn't use actual wheels.

I want to make it pretty big but light at the same time and the goal is to have a car with fast acceleration and that can go for a long distance.

if you have made one or know of how to make one could you list materials and a step by step guide on how to make one. I don't think that I will take your idea and use everything from it because then there would be no sense of accomplishment for me so if you want me to use some creativity to don't worry about it I just need to get a base for this project first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have made my mosetrap car, and it worked. I got the ideas and instruction off online. I am going to provide you with all the sources that I used to make my mousetrap car.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/mechtoys/mouse.html
http://monsterguide.net/how-to-build-a-mouse-trap-car
http://www.ehow.com/how_2044833_build-mousetrap-car.html
http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/buildmousetrap_spnv.htmI suggest you getting 4 CD's and wrap balloon around it to have traction with the floor. I also suggest using small wheels for the front of the car and big wheels for back to get more torque. Use Records CD fro back and Regular size Cd for front. Use a fishing rod for the handle for it can go faster. Use lighter sources so your car is not heavy. These are my suggestions only, you do not have to use them if you feel like you can do it. It is up to you only.

Hope I helped!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest approaching this project with a design-thinking mindset. This means considering the purpose and function of each component and finding creative solutions to achieve the desired result. Here are some materials and steps that could help guide you in building a mousetrap car with fast acceleration and long-distance capabilities:

Materials:
1. Large wooden or plastic board for the base of the car
2. Mousetrap
3. Strong rubber bands
4. Wooden dowels or skewers
5. Straws
6. Cardboard
7. Hot glue gun
8. Scissors
9. Small toy wheels
10. Tape
11. Small pulleys (optional)
12. Fishing line (optional)

Step 1: Begin by creating the frame of the car. Use the wooden or plastic board as the base and attach two wooden dowels or skewers vertically at the front and back of the board to serve as the axles. Make sure the axles are securely attached to the board.

Step 2: Cut two straws into small pieces and attach them to the axles using hot glue. These will serve as the bearings for the wheels.

Step 3: Take the mousetrap and remove the metal bar. Use hot glue to attach the mousetrap to the back of the car, with the spring facing towards the front.

Step 4: Cut a piece of cardboard to fit over the mousetrap and attach it using hot glue. This will serve as the platform for the car to rest on.

Step 5: Attach the small toy wheels to the front axle using hot glue. Make sure the wheels can spin freely.

Step 6: Now it's time to add the rubber bands. Use strong rubber bands to connect the front axle to the mousetrap's spring. This will provide the car with the necessary tension to move forward.

Step 7: To increase the car's acceleration, you can add small pulleys to the front axle and attach fishing line to the mousetrap's spring. This will create a gear-like system, providing more power to the wheels.

Step 8: Test the car by setting it on a flat surface and releasing the mousetrap. Make adjustments as needed to achieve the desired results.

Remember, this is just a basic guide and you can use your creativity to modify and improve the design. Good luck with your project and have fun!

Related to I on building a mousetrap car.

1. How does a mousetrap car work?

A mousetrap car works by converting the potential energy stored in a mousetrap's spring into kinetic energy. When the mousetrap is released, the spring snaps back and pulls a string or axle, causing the wheels to turn and propel the car forward.

2. What materials do I need to build a mousetrap car?

The materials you will need to build a mousetrap car include a mousetrap, wooden or plastic wheels, an axle, string, and a sturdy base for the car. You may also want to use additional materials such as cardboard, rubber bands, or plastic spoons for added support or decoration.

3. How do I calculate the speed and distance of a mousetrap car?

The speed and distance of a mousetrap car can be calculated by measuring the length of the string used to power the car and timing how long it takes for the car to travel that distance. The speed can then be determined by dividing the distance by the time it took to travel that distance.

4. How can I improve the performance of my mousetrap car?

There are several ways to improve the performance of a mousetrap car. You can try using different materials for the wheels, such as rubber or metal, to increase traction. You can also experiment with the placement of the wheels and the length of the string to find the most efficient design. Adding weights to the car can also help increase its speed and distance.

5. Can I use a mousetrap car for a science fair project?

Yes, a mousetrap car can make for a great science fair project. You can incorporate different variables and hypotheses to test the performance of the car, and also explain the scientific principles behind its functioning. Just be sure to follow all safety precautions when building and testing your mousetrap car.