How High Must a Diver Jump to Experience a Force Five Times Their Weight?

In summary, a 50.0 kg person experiences an average force of 2450N when diving from a cliff above the water and coming to a stop in the water in 0.400 seconds. Using the equation m*delta v = average F*delta t, the delta v is calculated to be 19.6 m/s. To find the height, the equations of motion or conservation of energy can be used, but it is important to check the signs on the vectors.
avb203796
A 50.0 kg person dives from a cliff above the water. From what height must he dive if he experiences an average force equal to 5.0 times his body weight (W=mg), as he comes to a stop in the water? You may assume a stopping time of 0.400 s.

So first I solved for the average force:

average F= 5.0(mg) = 5.0(9.80m/s^2)(50.0kg) = 2450N

Next I used the equation m*delta v = average F*delta t to solve for delta v:

delta v = [(2450)(0.4)]/50.kg = 19.6 m/s

I was wondering if my above calculations are right and then I am not sure how to now find the height using the delta v!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok .. now that you have found out delta v, you know the man's velocity as he reaches the water ... use the equations of motion to find the ht.

(you can use conservation of energy too)

Shouldn't my delta v be negative though because delta v = final velocity - intial velocity and my final velocity would be 0 because the diver is coming to a stop?

avb203796 said:
Shouldn't my delta v be negative though because delta v = final velocity - intial velocity and my final velocity would be 0 because the diver is coming to a stop?

Check the signs on your vectors. That will explain it.

-Dan

1. What does it mean to solve for the average force?

Solving for the average force means finding the total force exerted on an object over a period of time and then dividing it by the duration of that time. This gives us an idea of the overall force acting on the object during that time period.

2. How is the average force calculated?

The average force can be calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time. This can be represented by the equation Favg = ∑F / t, where Favg is the average force, ∑F is the total force, and t is the duration of time.

3. Why is it important to solve for the average force?

Solving for the average force allows us to understand the overall force acting on an object and how it may affect its motion. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, as it helps us predict and control the behavior of objects.

4. Can the average force be negative?

Yes, the average force can be negative. This means that the overall force acting on an object is in the opposite direction of its motion. For example, if an object is slowing down, the average force acting on it would be negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving for the average force?

Solving for the average force is important in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the average force of a car's brakes to stop it, determining the average force of a rocket's engines to launch it, or finding the average force of a person's weight on a surface. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the average force of a golf club hitting a ball or the average force of a runner's foot hitting the ground.