I think i did this electric potential problem correctly but

In summary, a helium nucleus with a charge of 2e and mass of 6.63E-27 kg is traveling at a speed of 6.20E5 m/s from point A (1.5E3 V) to point B (4.0E3 V) in an electric field. To calculate the speed at point B, the equation delta V = -(delta KE)/q is used, resulting in a final velocity of 7.91E5 m/s. However, due to a sign error, the correct final velocity should be 3.78E5 m/s, as the positive charge is going against the electric field and will slow down, not speed up.
punktux

Homework Statement

a helium nucleus (charge =2e, mass = 6.63E-27 kg) traveling at a speed of 6.20E5 m/s enters an electric field, traveling from point A, at a potential of 1.5E3 V, to point B, at 4.0E3 V. what is the speed at point B?

Homework Equations

charge = 2e = 2 * 1.6E-19 C
delta V is potential difference.
i used equation delta V = - (delta KE)/q and derived the relationship:
delta V = - mass/2q (vf^2 - vi^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

since the charge is 2e and e for electron is -1.6E-19 C, so the right hand side is positive. the left side is 4.0E3-1.5E3...finally i solved vf and got 7.91E5 m/s but the answer is 3.78E5 m/s

i don't get it...where is the mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are making a sign error. Electric fields point from higher potential to lower potential. The helium nucleus is +2e (not a negative charge). This positive charge is going from A to B, or lower potential to higher potential. This means it is going against the E field. This means that the nucleus will slow down, not speed up. Notice that the answer you want is smaller than the initial velocity.

Note: I haven't done the math to check your equations. I'm just looking at what the answer, in general, should look like.

Based on the information provided, your approach and equations seem correct. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and make sure that you are using the correct values and units. In this case, it is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations which led to the incorrect answer. I would recommend going through your steps again and carefully checking each calculation to see if you can identify where the mistake may have occurred. Additionally, it is always helpful to have a second set of eyes look over your work, so you may want to consider asking a classmate or your instructor for assistance. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged, science is all about trial and error and learning from mistakes!

Related to I think i did this electric potential problem correctly but

1. Did I use the correct formula for calculating electric potential?

It is important to use the correct formula for calculating electric potential, which is V = kQ/r. Double check to make sure you have used the correct formula for your specific problem.

2. Did I remember to convert units correctly?

Electric potential is typically measured in volts, so make sure to convert all other units to volts before solving the problem. Pay attention to the units given in the problem and make sure your final answer is in volts.

3. Did I account for all charges in the system?

When calculating electric potential, it is important to account for all charges in the system. Make sure you have included all charges and their respective distances from the point of interest in your calculations.

4. Did I use the correct values for constants?

The electric constant, k, is an important value when calculating electric potential. Make sure you are using the correct value for k, which is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for the charge, Q, in your calculations.

5. Did I check my calculations for accuracy?

It is always a good idea to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Check your work for any errors or mistakes, and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.