1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think i did this electric potential problem correctly but

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a helium nucleus (charge =2e, mass = 6.63E-27 kg) traveling at a speed of 6.20E5 m/s enters an electric field, traveling from point A, at a potential of 1.5E3 V, to point B, at 4.0E3 V. what is the speed at point B?

2. Relevant equations

charge = 2e = 2 * 1.6E-19 C
    delta V is potential difference.
    i used equation delta V = - (delta KE)/q and derived the relationship:
    delta V = - mass/2q (vf^2 - vi^2)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    since the charge is 2e and e for electron is -1.6E-19 C, so the right hand side is positive. the left side is 4.0E3-1.5E3...finally i solved vf and got 7.91E5 m/s but the answer is 3.78E5 m/s

i dont get it...where is the mistake?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2
    I think you are making a sign error. Electric fields point from higher potential to lower potential. The helium nucleus is +2e (not a negative charge). This positive charge is going from A to B, or lower potential to higher potential. This means it is going against the E field. This means that the nucleus will slow down, not speed up. Notice that the answer you want is smaller than the initial velocity.

Note: I haven't done the math to check your equations. I'm just looking at what the answer, in general, should look like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook