Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idea for electronics engineering company

1. Sep 15, 2006 #1
    I would like to start my own electronics engineering company in the future but have no idea what it will make :rofl: . If you were to start your own electronics engineering company, what would your company be about?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Generally, startups are formed by people who have an idea that is from their background, and which has a good chance of succeeding in the market. So you should look to your own interests and training background for ideas, and then look at the potential markets for those ideas.

If you are still in training (like still in school), you can look at potential growth markets, and tune your education and initial work areas towards those promising areas. For example, biomedical engineering has some very promising areas for new products, and homeland security will grow a lot over the next decade or so.

What areas of study or industry interest you the most?

4. Sep 15, 2006 #3
    right now I'm comfortable with microcontrols, electronics and computers. I'd like to do RF but its hard. lol

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you mean microcontrollers (uCs), then I'd suggest that you get a uC kit board and start prototyping various projects. Like, build a stepper motor controller or a Fourier analyzer or something. Write the uC code in C or assembly (or both), and make some real-world thing to get more familiar with the process of creating a new product. Then, once you've made something simple, think of some more complex uC project, and add in some of your circuit design skills to make something cool. Then keep brainstorming other projects, and build up the ones that interest you the most. Here's Microchip's website with PIC uC demo board info:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=82

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?