Understanding Ideal Gas Equation: Tips for Solving Pressure Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding ideal gas equations and finding the correct answer. The example of discovering pressure is used, with the calculated answer of 24.486704 being questioned. The importance of carrying units and using scientific notation to check working is mentioned, as well as having an "atom picture" for better intuition. The concept of pressure being less tangible than other physical quantities is also discussed.
s.p.q.r
Hi,
Im having problems with my ideal gas equations. I am able to do the actual equation but when I comes to the answer, I have difficuly understanding.
Here is an example.
If i want to discover the pressure...

V-1000litres
n-800moles
r-0.08206
t-373kelvin
Pressure-?

Now the answer my calculator gets is 24.486704.

Now, I am not sure if this is correct, it doesn't look right to me, the pressure is too low. Do i have to move the decimal point? Is the pressure really 244.86704?

Help me out please!
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What units is that pressure in?

It is good practice to always carry the units associated with physical numbers. You can use the units to verify answers. If you do not get the right units on a result, then you have a error some where.

It's difficult to have good intuition about pressure.
Do you know about scientific notation - where you write numbers as powers of ten?
Then you can quickly check your working to an order of magnitude.
V=1e3 n=8e2 r=8e-2 t=3.7e2
pv=nrt so p =nrt/v
= 8e2 * 8e-2 * 3.7e2 / 1e3 = 64*3.7e-1 = 64*0.3 = 24

When doing calculations, always check the units are the same and do an order of magnitude estimate.

Hint - what units is your volume in?

In order to get an intuition for the ideal has laws it's very helpful to have the "atom picture" in your head. Meaning that pressure is the combined force of all the atoms pushing against the box by random collisions with it. Make the box smaller - the collisions are more frequent. Raise the temperture - the atoms move faster and hit harder. Fenyman explains it well in "Lectures on Physics".

daniel_i_l said:
In order to get an intuition for the ideal has laws it's very helpful to have the "atom picture" in your head.

I meant it's difficult to picture what 1 Pascals means in the same way that you can picture 1kg or 1m, it's less tangible.

Is 800moles in 1000l a lot of material or very little - without working out the answer all you can do is compare it to atmospheric pressure.

FAQ: Understanding Ideal Gas Equation: Tips for Solving Pressure Problems

1. What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the General Gas Equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of an ideal gas at a specific temperature, volume, and pressure. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. What is the purpose of the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is used to relate the various properties of an ideal gas and predict its behavior under different conditions. It is also used to calculate the amount of gas present in a given system and to determine the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas.

3. What are the units of measurement for the Ideal Gas Equation?

The units of measurement for the Ideal Gas Equation depend on the specific values being used. P is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), V in liters (L), n in moles (mol), R in joules per mole Kelvin (J/molK), and T in Kelvin (K). However, other units such as torr, pascals, and cubic meters can also be used.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation makes several assumptions about the behavior of an ideal gas, including: the gas particles do not interact with each other, the gas particles have negligible volume, and the gas particles are in constant, random motion. These assumptions allow for the simplification of the equation and make it useful for practical applications.

5. How does the Ideal Gas Equation relate to real gases?

The Ideal Gas Equation is an approximation that is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas particles. However, the Ideal Gas Equation can still provide a good estimate for the behavior of real gases under certain conditions.

Back