1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Question.

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Consider one-mole of gas in a heat engine undergoing the Otto Cycle
    a) The gas absorbs heat, at constant volume between 120'C and 300'C
    b) The gas expands adiabatically from V1 to V2 = 5V1
    c) The gas cools, at constant volume to Td at point D where the pressure is 1At
    d) The gas is then adiabatically compressed from V2 to V1 returning to the original temperature of 120'C
    You may assume Cv = 5R/2 and Cp = 7R/2

What are the pressures and temperatures (in Kelvin) at points A,B,C,D?

2. Relevant equations

Ideal gas law pV = nRT
    Charle's law = V1/T1 = K and V1/T1 = V2/T2
    Boyle's law = P1V1 = P2V2

3. The attempt at a solution

A = 120 + 273.15 = 393.15K
    B = 300 + 273.15 = 573.15K
    C =
    D =

A =
    B =
    C = 1At
    D =

I'm guessing i'm going to have to use Boyle's and Charle's laws in order to fill in the blanks.

V1 / 573.15 = 5V1 / T2

T2 / 573.15 = 5V1 / V1

T2 / 573.15 = 4V1

But here's the problem, it doesn't appear like this is going to solve anything. I reach this barrier for the other blanks as well. Could someone possibly edge me in the right direction please?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Boyle's law only works if T is the same. It isn't. Charle's law only works if P is constant. It isn't.

You have to use the first law of thermodynamics: dQ = dU + dW and the adiabatic condition [itex]PV^\gamma = K[/itex] where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the ratio Cp/Cv for air (1.4).

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    So basically, if I can find out what K is from the Adiabatic condition, then I should be able to calculate the values of P and V for the other points?

Except I don't have a point which has both P and V values.
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you do. You know that V = nRT/P. So if V is constant (ie. A to B) nRT/P is constant. You know T so you can work out P at point B.

So you can calculate [itex]PV^\gamma[/itex] for point B and, therefore, for point C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?