Ideal Gas Question Homework: Mass of Air in House @ 20C & -10C

In summary, the volume of air inside a house with a volume of 770 m^3 at 20 Celsius is 924 kg. To find the mass of air entering or leaving the house when the temperature drops to -10 Celsius, use the formula V1T1 = V2/T2 to find the new volume, then calculate the change in volume and multiply it by the density of air to get the mass of air.
tiffanysnow

Homework Statement

A house has a volume of 770 m^3. (a) what is the total mas of air inside the house at 20 Celsius? (b) If the temperature drops to -10 Celsius, what mass of air enters or leaves te house?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the solution for part a which I think 924 kg. I found this answer by multiplying 770 m^3 by 1.2 kg (density of air at 20 Celsius: 1.2kg/m^3).
But I do not know how to find the answer to part b. I read the whole chapter but still did not know how. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
tiffanysnow said:

Homework Statement

A house has a volume of 770 m^3. (a) what is the total mas of air inside the house at 20 Celsius? (b) If the temperature drops to -10 Celsius, what mass of air enters or leaves te house?
Using the formula
V1T1 = V2/T2
find V2.
Then find the change in volume. Multiply it with density to get the mass air entering the room.

Your solution for part a is correct. To find the answer for part b, we need to use the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT. Since the volume of the house remains constant, we can set the two initial conditions equal to each other:
P1V1 = P2V2
where P1 is the initial pressure, V1 is the initial volume, P2 is the final pressure, and V2 is the final volume. We can also assume that the number of moles of air inside the house remains constant. This means that n1 = n2.
Rearranging the equation, we get:
n2 = (P1V1)/(RT2)
where T2 is the final temperature (-10 Celsius in this case).
We can substitute in the values for P1, V1, and T2 and solve for n2. Once we have the number of moles of air that enter or leave the house, we can use the molar mass of air (approximately 28.97 g/mol) to convert to mass in kilograms.
I hope this helps!

FAQ: Ideal Gas Question Homework: Mass of Air in House @ 20C & -10C

1) What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows a set of gas laws, including Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. These laws state that, under certain conditions, the volume, pressure, and temperature of a gas are related.

2) How can I calculate the mass of air in my house?

To calculate the mass of air in your house, you will need to know the volume of your house and the temperature. You can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the number of moles of air in your house, and then use the molar mass of air (28.97 g/mol) to convert to mass.

3) Why is the temperature important in this calculation?

The temperature is important because it affects the behavior of gases. The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, but in reality, gas particles do have volume and do interact with each other. Temperature plays a role in determining the energy and movement of the gas particles, which affects the pressure and volume of the gas.

4) How do I convert between Celsius and Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. For example, if the temperature is 20°C, it would be 293.15 K. To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature.

5) Why is the ideal gas law not always accurate?

The ideal gas law is based on several assumptions that are not always true. These assumptions include that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, which is not true at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the ideal gas law does not take into account the presence of intermolecular forces, which can affect the behavior of gases. As a result, the ideal gas law is not always accurate in real-world situations.

Back