How Does Doubling Volume and Increasing Temperature Affect Gas Pressure?

In summary, the question asks about the gauge pressure (in kPa) of an ideal gas at STP with a volume of 6.00L, doubled volume, and increased temperature of 50.0 degrees Celsius. STP stands for standard temperature and pressure, which is 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atm. The Ideal Gas Law, which states that PV=nRT, can be used to solve this problem. The book being referenced is likely discussing the Ideal Gas Law and its components.
Shakerhood
An Ideal Gas occupies a Volume of 6.00 L at STP. What is its Gauge pressure (in kPa) if the Volume is doubled and the Temperature is increased to 50.0 Degrees Celcius. I don't know where to begine as the question doesn't have a starting Temp, just that it was increased to 50 Degrees Celcius. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
STP stands for standard temperature and pressure. it is 0 degrees C and 1 atm.

Do you have an equation for me that might help?

The Ideal Gas Law should cover this.

whozum said:
The Ideal Gas Law should cover this.

I have a really Sorry Book, I will try to find that in there. Thanks!

Shakerhood said:
I have a really Sorry Book, I will try to find that in there. Thanks!

The Ideal Gas law says in an Ideal Gas in a closed system the following relation always holds constant,

[tex] PV = nRT [/tex]

P = Pressure
V = Volume
n = number of moles
R = The gas constant
T = Temperature (KELVIN)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept used in the study of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. It is a gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. What is the relationship between volume and temperature in an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature. This means that as temperature increases, volume also increases, and vice versa, as long as other factors such as pressure and number of moles remain constant.

4. How does pressure affect the volume of an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa, as long as other factors such as temperature and number of moles remain constant.

5. What are the units of measurement for ideal gas volume?

The units of measurement for ideal gas volume depend on the units used for pressure and temperature in the ideal gas law. The most common units are liters (L) for volume, atmospheres (atm) for pressure, and Kelvin (K) for temperature. However, other units such as cubic meters (m3), pascals (Pa), and Celsius (°C) can also be used as long as they are consistent with each other.