Identifying parallel elements in a circuit

In summary, the circuit contains two pairs of series circuit elements: the 4 and 6 ohm resistors, and the 5 ohm resistor with the 20 V voltage source. There are also several pairs of parallel circuit elements, including: 1 ohm and 2 ohm, 4 ohm and 5 ohm, 4 ohm and 20 V, 6 ohm and 5 ohm, 6 ohm and 20 V, 3 ohm and 5 ohm, 3 ohm and 20 V, 1 ohm and 3 ohm, and 2 ohm and 3 ohm. However, not all of these pairs are actually in
Pi Face
In the following circuit, a) identify all combinations of 2 or more circuit elements that are connected in series and b) Identify pairs of circuit elements that are connected in parallel.

http://imgur.com/keorO

a) Seems easy enough, the 4 and 6 ohm resistors are in series, and so are the 5 ohm resistor with the 20 V volate source. Did I miss any?

b) Here the question says "Identify pairs" not "all pairs" so I'm not sure if I have to find all of them...aren't there a lot? I think I'm having trouble finding every last parallel pair. This is what I have so far.

1 ohm is in parallel with 2 ohm
4 ohm "" 5 ohm
4 ohm "" 20 V
6 ohm "" 5 ohm
6 ohm "" 20 V
3 ohm "" 5 ohm
3 ohm "" 20 V
1 ohm "" 3 ohm (?)
2 ohm "" 3 ohm (?)

I feel like I have too many or too little pairs...

SIDE QUESTION:
In a circular circuit where all the elements are connected in a single loop, are the elements in series or in parallel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Parallel components have leads that share exactly two nodes.

Serial components have leads that exclusively share exactly one node (no other connections by other components to that node).

Not every pair that you've identified are in parallel.

gneill said:
Parallel components have leads that share exactly two nodes.

Not every pair that you've identified are in parallel.

So say we have a square circuit, with one resistor on the top and 3 resistors in series on the bottom (nothing on left and right)
Only the outer 2 of the 3 bottom resistors would be parallel with the top? Not the middle one?

edit:
also, going by what you said my answer for series seems to be correct, but only the 1 and 2 ohm resistors are in parallel?

Pi Face said:
So say we have a square circuit, with one resistor on the top and 3 resistors in series on the bottom (nothing on left and right)
Only the outer 2 of the 3 bottom resistors would be parallel with the top? Not the middle one?
You mean like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50731&stc=1&d=1347468234.gif

There are NO resistors in parallel in this circuit; no two resistors share exactly two nodes. That is, you must have one lead from each component connected together at one node, while the other leads of the two components connect together at another (separate) node.
edit:
also, going by what you said my answer for series seems to be correct, but only the 1 and 2 ohm resistors are in parallel?

Yes, that;s good.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 933
Okay I see, thank you very much for clarifying that for me.

1. What are parallel elements in a circuit?

Parallel elements in a circuit are two or more electrical components that are connected to the same two nodes, allowing current to flow through each component separately.

2. How do you identify parallel elements in a circuit?

To identify parallel elements in a circuit, you can look for two or more components that are connected to the same two nodes, or you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between different components. If the resistance is the same for multiple components, they are likely in parallel.

3. What is the purpose of parallel elements in a circuit?

Parallel elements in a circuit allow for multiple paths for current to flow, which can increase the overall current and reduce the overall resistance in the circuit. This can be useful for powering multiple components or for creating a more efficient circuit.

4. How do parallel elements affect the overall resistance in a circuit?

Parallel elements in a circuit reduce the overall resistance because they provide additional paths for current to flow. This can be calculated using the formula 1/R_total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each element.

5. Can parallel elements in a circuit affect each other's voltage?

No, parallel elements in a circuit do not affect each other's voltage. Each element will have the same voltage as the source, as long as they are connected in parallel. This is because the voltage drop across each element is equal to the voltage of the source.