Identifying Triogonometric Identities - ?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with solving problems and asks for a tutorial or worksheet with sample problems and solutions. They receive suggestions for helpful websites and are given a hint on how to approach their example problem.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am having issues with these. Does anyone know of a tutorial for these, like something I can print out that has sample problems with solutions on how to solve them?

Thanks very much!

(example problem question)

(sinx + cosx)^2 = sin 2x + 1

I am just having a hard time with these, so any info on a good tutorial/worksheet online would be great!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked these sites? (Admittedly, I haven't look at the trig stuff, but other topics.)
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm" (look at the bottom for trig tutorials)
http://www.khanacademy.org/#trigonometry"

Regarding your example:
[tex](\sin x + \cos x)^2 = \sin 2x + 1[/tex]

Let me ask you, how would you start this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:

Homework Statement

I am having issues with these. Does anyone know of a tutorial for these, like something I can print out that has sample problems with solutions on how to solve them?

Thanks very much!

(example problem question)

(sinx + cosx)^2 = sin 2x + 1

I am just having a hard time with these, so any info on a good tutorial/worksheet online would be great!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There's a reason why we have

Homework Equations

:wink:

eumyang said:
Have you checked these sites? (Admittedly, I haven't look at the trig stuff, but other topics.)
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm" (look at the bottom for trig tutorials)
http://www.khanacademy.org/#trigonometry"

Regarding your example:
[tex](\sin x + \cos x)^2 = \sin 2x + 1[/tex]

Let me ask you, how would you start this problem?

Ok great, thanks ill take a look at those!

To answer your question:

My first step is usually my problem. I don't understand how you would know your first step, or line of attack for solving a question like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:
Ok great, thanks ill take a look at those!

To answer your question:

My first step is usually my problem. I don't understand how you would know your first step, or line of attack for solving a question like this.

Well you're trying to show they equal each other, so you can go about it two ways. Either work with the left hand side and make it turn into the right, or work with the right and turn it into the left. Since the left is a perfect square, and you know how to expand, that's always the best approach.

Right, so usually I would start with the left side because its usually the more complicated side.

So take my above question. What am I looking to do to the left side. Yes I know I must make/prove it = to the right side, but what am I looking to do first?

Did you read this from Mentallic's post?
Mentallic said:
Since the left is a perfect square, and you know how to expand, that's always the best approach.
He gave you the first step, so try it.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations involving trigonometric functions (such as sin, cos, tan) that are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

2. How do I identify trigonometric identities?

The most common method is to use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions to rewrite one side of the equation to match the other, or to factor and combine terms until both sides are equal.

3. What are the properties of trigonometric functions?

The main properties of trigonometric functions are: even/odd functions, periodicity, symmetry, and sum/difference formulas. These properties are used to manipulate and simplify trigonometric expressions and equations.

4. What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and an equation?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved, whereas a trigonometric equation is an equation that is only true for certain values of the variables. Identifying trigonometric identities requires proving that the equation is always true, while solving trigonometric equations involves finding specific solutions.

5. How can I use trigonometric identities in real-world applications?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and periodic phenomena. They are also used in navigation, surveying, and architecture to make accurate measurements and calculations.