Identifying Types of Singularity in Differential Equations

In summary: No because Sin[1/z] at z=0 is not a isolated singularity so it isn't analytic in in a neighborhood of z or in this case x.
QFT25

Homework Statement

Identify the type of singularity at x=0 for these differential equations

x*Sin[1/x]*y''[x]+y[x]==0

x^2*y''[x]+Sin[1/x]*y[x]==0

Homework Equations

A Singular point is regular if f(x)(x-x_0)^n is defined as x approaches x_0 and is analytic in a near a neighborhood of that singular point. It is irregular if this doesn't hold.

The Attempt at a Solution

x/(Sin[1/x]) x is analytic at x=0 and around x=0 to see if this was a regular or irregular singularity. So I wrote out the Taylor series of Sin[x] and plugged in for x 1/x. After doing the it appeared that as x goes to zero x/Sin[1/x] went to zero so I said it was a regular singularity, I also identified other singular points at 1/(Pi*n) where n is a integer. Using the same process for the other ODE I found that as x goes to zero (x^2/(Sin[1/x)]))x^2 does not converge as x goes to zero thus it is a irregular singularity. Can anyone tell me if my approach was right and if my answers were right?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
QFT25 said:
it appeared that as x goes to zero x/Sin[1/x] went to zero
What did you do about all the divisions by 0?

FactChecker said:
What did you do about all the divisions by 0?

The series looks like x/(1/x -1/x^3+1/x^5...) so as x goes to zero the numerator goes to zero and the denominator increases without bound because of all of the (1/x) terms. So in my head I was like zero over infinity is zero.

QFT25 said:
The series looks like x/(1/x -1/x^3+1/x^5...) so as x goes to zero the numerator goes to zero and the denominator increases without bound because of all of the (1/x) terms. So in my head I was like zero over infinity is zero.
For every x = 1/nπ, x / sin(1/x) = (1/nπ) / ( sin(nπ) ) = (1/nπ) / 0. That is a series of points of x approaching 0 where the function is undefined.

FactChecker said:
For every x = 1/nπ, x / sin(1/x) = (1/nπ) / ( sin(nπ) ) = (1/nπ) / 0. That is a series of points of x approaching 0 where the function is undefined.
Yes Sin[1/x] as x goes to zero is undefined. However Sin[1/x] ranges between as -1,0 and 1. Also as x/(Sin[x+Pi]) as x goes to zero approaches negative -1. Hmm now that I think I think about it is un defined right because it will go between 0 and -1 right. So it is irregular point right?

Think about "is analytic in a neighborhood of that singular point." Is that true?

FactChecker said:
Think about "is analytic in a neighborhood of that singular point." Is that true?
No because Sin[1/z] at z=0 is not a isolated singularity so it isn't analytic in in a neighborhood of z or in this case x.

Likes FactChecker

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a certain quantity changes over time or space, and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is a singularity in a differential equation?

A singularity in a differential equation is a point where the solution of the equation becomes infinite or undefined. It can occur when the equation is not well-behaved or when the conditions for a unique solution are not met.

How do you identify the type of singularity in a differential equation?

The type of singularity in a differential equation can be identified by analyzing the behavior of the solution near the singular point. This can be done by finding the Laurent series expansion of the solution and examining the terms that contain negative powers of the independent variable.

What are the different types of singularities in differential equations?

There are three main types of singularities in differential equations: removable, essential, and irregular. Removable singularities can be removed by a change of variables, essential singularities cannot be removed and result in a non-analytic solution, and irregular singularities have infinite derivatives at the singular point.

Why is it important to identify types of singularities in differential equations?

Identifying the types of singularities in a differential equation can help determine the behavior of the solution and provide insight into the underlying system. It also allows for the use of appropriate mathematical techniques to find a solution or to approximate the behavior of the solution near the singular point.