I'm sorry, I have no idea how to attempt this question.

• Thread starter saikamaniac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, friction is needed as the centripetal force to keep a car traveling safely around a circular flat racetrack. The maximum speed at which this can be done on a track with a radius of 80m is dependent on the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, which is 0.3. The centrifugal force must equal the friction force, which can be found by using the equations for centripetal and friction forces. The mass of the car is not needed to calculate this solution.
saikamaniac
Friction provides the centripetal force necessary for a car to reval around a circular flat racetrack. What ios the maximum speed at which a car can travel safely around a track of radius 80m if the coefficient of friction between the tyres and road is 0.3?

I really have no idea how to attempt this question...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the "centrifugal force" on the car? The friction force, equal to 0.3 times the weight of the car, must be equal to that.

well the centrifugal force is just equal but opposite to the centripetal force
which i don't know...and i don't know the MASS of the car and thus can't calculate the weight

A common thing for people who are just starting physics is to forget that, often times, mass is irrelevant to finding a solution.

The centrifugal forces must equal friction, correct? What do you do when two equations equal each other?

Whenever I get stuck, I like to just starting writing off my known equations:

[tex]\Sigma F_c = m\frac{v^2_t}{r}[/tex]

[tex]F_f = \mu m g[/tex]

1. "Can you help me with this homework question?"

Yes, as a scientist, I would be happy to assist you with any homework questions you may have. Please provide the specific question you are struggling with and I will do my best to provide guidance and help.

2. "How do I approach a difficult homework question?"

The best way to approach a difficult homework question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts and information needed to solve the question, and then work through each step systematically.

3. "Can you explain the answer to this homework question in simpler terms?"

Yes, as a scientist, I am used to explaining complex concepts in simpler terms. Please let me know which part of the question or answer you are having trouble understanding and I will do my best to clarify it for you.

4. "Is it okay to ask for help with a homework question?"

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a homework question. In fact, seeking help when needed is a sign of being proactive and dedicated to understanding the material. It is always better to ask for help than to struggle and potentially get the wrong answer.

5. "Can you provide resources to help with this homework question?"

I would be happy to provide resources and references that may be helpful for understanding and solving your homework question. However, it is important to note that the best way to learn and understand the material is to actively engage with it and try to solve the question on your own first.