Calculating Image Distance Using a Christmas Tree Ball

In summary, to calculate the image distance of a face reflected in a shiny Christmas tree ball with a diameter of 9.63 cm, which is located 7.81 cm away from the ball, the mirror formula can be used by finding the radius of curvature of the ball. From there, the image distance can be determined.
Jess_18033152

Homework Statement

You look at yourself in a shiny Christmas tree ball, which has a diameter of 9.63 cm. If your face is 7.81 cm away from the shiny ball, calculate the image distance.

Homework Equations

?
Thinking I would use
magnification = di/d0

di = 0.0781m
d0 = 0.0963m

The Attempt at a Solution

-0.811m

This doesn't sound right to me, is this perhaps because di is supposed to be what I'm trying to find out?

If so, would I then assume that the magnification is 0.0781 and I need to times that by 0.0963 to work out di? The the calculations would be as follows;?

m x do = di

di = 0.0781 x 0.0963
= 7.52 x 10^-3 m (3sf)

I think this would be the correct way to work out this question, I just wanted to double check that my second method is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think magnification formulae will help you here. You're given the object distance and a ball, which acts like a convex mirror. Have you tried using the mirror formula $$\frac{1}{v} - \frac{1}{u} = \frac{1}{f}$$ with the proper signs?

What answer is supplied with the book?

Jess_18033152 said:
This doesn't sound right to me, is this perhaps because di is supposed to be what I'm trying to find out?

That's right. You have dO, the distance from the object to the mirror, and you're asked to find dI, the image distance.

Jess_18033152 said:
If so, would I then assume that the magnification is 0.0781 and I need to times that by 0.0963 to work out di? The the calculations would be as follows;?

No, you don't immediately have the magnification because you don't have the image distance.

Look at the information provided to you. You have dO and the diameter of the mirror. For an optical surface we usually work with the radius of curvature ##R##, not the diameter. Find ##R## and see if you have any equations that you can use ##R## into get the image distance or another helpful property.

1. How do you calculate the image distance using a Christmas tree ball?

To calculate the image distance using a Christmas tree ball, you will need to know the radius of the ball and the distance between the object and the ball. The image distance can be found using the formula: image distance = (radius of ball * distance to object) / (radius of ball - distance to object). This formula is based on the principles of refraction and the thin lens equation.

2. Why is a Christmas tree ball used to calculate image distance?

A Christmas tree ball is used to calculate image distance because it is a convex lens, meaning it has a curved surface that bulges outwards. This shape allows for the light rays passing through the ball to converge and form an image. The size and shape of the ball make it easy to measure and use in calculations.

3. What is the significance of calculating image distance?

Calculating image distance is important in understanding how light behaves when passing through a lens. It is also useful in determining the size and position of an image formed by a lens. This information is crucial in fields such as optics, photography, and physics.

4. Can image distance be negative when using a Christmas tree ball?

Yes, the image distance can be negative when using a Christmas tree ball. This occurs when the object is placed closer to the ball than the focal length of the ball. In this case, the image formed will be virtual, meaning it cannot be projected onto a screen, and will appear to be behind the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Christmas tree ball to calculate image distance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Christmas tree ball to calculate image distance. The formula assumes that the lens is thin, meaning its thickness is negligible compared to its other dimensions. It also assumes that the light rays passing through the lens do not deviate significantly from the principal axis. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and therefore, the calculated image distance may not be entirely accurate.