Impact parameter of alpha particles

In summary, the question asks for the impact parameter for a 7.7 MeV alpha particle with a deflection of 2 degrees in a thin gold foil. The equation used is b = (k*q_alpha*Q)/(m_alpha*v^2)*cot(theta/2). The values used for k, q_alpha, Q, and m_alpha are 8.988x10^9, 2(1.6x10^-19), 79(1.6x10^-19), and 2KE respectively. The problem arises when converting MeV to eV and using the values for q_alpha and Q. After correcting these issues, the correct answer was obtained using the equation.
stripes

Homework Statement

For alpha particles of 7.7 MeV, what impact parameter will result in a deflection of 2 degrees for a thin gold foil?

Homework Equations

impact parameter equation, [tex]b=\frac{kq_{\alpha}Q}{m_{\alpha}v^{2}}cot\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty easy, just plug and play into[tex]b=\frac{kq_{\alpha}Q}{m_{\alpha}v^{2}}cot\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex], but my textbook and instructor aren't very specific with what numbers we put in exactly. We know that mv^2 = 2KE, but as for the k, q and Q, do I just put k = 8.988x10^9, q(alpha) = 2(1.6x10^-19) and Q = 79(1.6x10^-19)?

I plugged in all of these numbers, along with theta = 2 degrees, and I get b = 2.70x10^-31 m. That seems kind of small for a deflection of 2 degrees. Did I do something wrong? Am I plugging in the wrong numbers?

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
After taking a closer look, I think my problems are:

1. I need to convert MeV to eV,
2. For q(alpha), use q = 2,
3. For Q, use Q =79,
4. Multiply k*q(alpha)*Q*e for e = 1.6x10^-19.

I did this for another question for which I had the answer, and I got the correct answer. Is this the problem here? Do I always need to use the above 4 solutions to my problem?

The thing is, i was under the assumption that q = 2e, and then Q = 79e, which means you need to have e^2 in the numerator...but that is not the case...I don't get that...

What is the impact parameter of alpha particles?

The impact parameter of alpha particles refers to the minimum distance between the trajectory of the alpha particle and the target nucleus during a collision.

Why is the impact parameter important in studying alpha particles?

The impact parameter is important because it determines the likelihood of a collision between the alpha particle and the target nucleus. It also affects the scattering angle and energy transfer during the collision, providing valuable information about the structure and properties of the target nucleus.

How is the impact parameter calculated?

The impact parameter can be calculated using the equation b = Z1Z2e^2/E, where b is the impact parameter, Z1 and Z2 are the atomic numbers of the alpha particle and target nucleus, e is the elementary charge, and E is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle.

What factors can affect the impact parameter?

The impact parameter can be affected by various factors, such as the energy and velocity of the alpha particle, the size and charge of the target nucleus, and any intervening materials or fields that may alter the trajectory of the alpha particle.

How does the impact parameter relate to the Rutherford scattering experiment?

The Rutherford scattering experiment, which involved firing alpha particles at a thin gold foil, was used to determine the impact parameter and thus the size and charge distribution of the gold nucleus. The scattering pattern observed in the experiment was dependent on the impact parameter, providing evidence for the existence of a small, positively-charged nucleus within the atom.