Impedance in an electric Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about impedance in a circuit with only resistors. The questioner is unsure if they can treat it as a DC circuit, but the responder confirms that they can because there is no frequency dependence when all components are resistors.
wheybags

Homework Statement

O1IIO.png

Homework Equations

V=IR ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem with this question is that impedance seems to apply only when inductors and capacitors are involved, but this circuit includes only resistors, so it seems to me like I could just treat it as resistance in this case.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
wheybags.

Physics news on Phys.org
wheybags said:

Homework Statement

O1IIO.png

Homework Equations

V=IR ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem with this question is that impedance seems to apply only when inductors and capacitors are involved, but this circuit includes only resistors, so it seems to me like I could just treat it as resistance in this case.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
wheybags.

Yes, all of the impedances in this circuit are resistances.

Does that mean I can just treat it exactly like I would a DC circuit?

wheybags said:
Does that mean I can just treat it exactly like I would a DC circuit?

Yes. The AC voltage sources are shorted out for this analysis, just as you would do for a DC source.

My main problem with this question is that impedance seems to apply only when inductors and capacitors are involved,

No, impedance applies as well with R L and C involved.
In a circuit with only resistors, all impadances are real (there's no imaginary part).

Quinzio said:
No, impedance applies as well with R L and C involved.
In a circuit with only resistors, all impadances are real (there's no imaginary part).

But can I still treat it like a DC circuit?

wheybags said:
But can I still treat it like a DC circuit?

Yes. When it is all resistors, there is no frequency dependence.

1. What is Impedance?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in an electric circuit. It is measured in ohms and is a combination of resistance, inductance, and capacitance.

2. How is Impedance different from Resistance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of a direct current (DC) in an electric circuit, while impedance is the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC). Resistance is measured in ohms, while impedance is also measured in ohms but takes into account both resistance and reactance.

3. What is the formula for calculating Impedance?

The formula for calculating Impedance in an electric circuit is Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

4. How does Impedance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Impedance affects the flow of current in a circuit by limiting it. The higher the impedance, the more resistance there is to the flow of current. This can cause a decrease in the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

5. How does Impedance impact the performance of electronic devices?

Impedance can impact the performance of electronic devices by affecting the current and voltage levels within the circuit. High impedance can lead to a decrease in current and voltage, which can result in reduced performance or malfunction of the device. It is important to match the impedance of different components in a circuit to ensure optimal performance.