Calculating Impedance for a Source: Solution Attempt

In summary: The final result looks okay, but whether or not your work is correct is hard to say. Since all the values in the circuit are 1's and 2's, they become somewhat anonymous when we can only see digits.The Relevant equations part of the template is there for a good reason. Could you not have quoted or referenced the equation that you employed?In summary, the j2 Ω on each side of the transformer indicates the mutual inductance between them.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

Find the impedance as seen by the source.
upload_2016-11-16_19-55-5.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-j2||j1 = 2i
Z = 2-j1+j2+(1^2)/(j2+2+j2)
Ztotal = 2.1+0.8i
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you understand is meant by the j2 Ω on each side of the transformer? What does the j1 Ω referring to both sides indicate?

NascentOxygen said:
What do you understand is meant by the j2 Ω on each side of the transformer? What does the j1 Ω referring to both sides indicate?
Mutual inductance?

eehelp150 said:
Mutual inductance?
Well, I don't know the direct formula for finding impedance in such coupled circuits, but you can use mesh analysis on both the sides and find the current on the source side. Source voltage/source current will be the impedance seen by the source.

eehelp150 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 109038

Homework Equations

-j2||j1 = 2i
Ztotal = 2.1+0.8i
Is this correct?
The final result looks okay, but whether or not your work is correct is hard to say. Since all the values in the circuit are 1's and 2's, they become somewhat anonymous when we can only see digits.

The Relevant equations part of the template is there for a good reason. Could you not have quoted or referenced the equation that you employed?

NascentOxygen said:

eehelp150 said:
Mutual inductance?

I asked two questions, and you gave only one answer?

NascentOxygen said:
I asked two questions, and you gave only one answer?
j1 is mutual inductance
j2 on each side is the self inductance

gneill said:
The final result looks okay, but whether or not your work is correct is hard to say. Since all the values in the circuit are 1's and 2's, they become somewhat anonymous when we can only see digits.

The Relevant equations part of the template is there for a good reason. Could you not have quoted or referenced the equation that you employed?
Z(total left) + M^2/Z(total right)
Z on left side:2-j1+j2
M=1-> M^2 = 1
-j2||j1 = 2j
Ztotalright = (j2+2+j2)

Okay. Now I can state that you've achieved the correct result in a valid manner.

For completeness, if the mutual inductance has impedance ##Z_m = 1j## as it was specified on the circuit diagram, and letting ##Z_p## and ##Z_s## be the total primary and secondary circuit impedances, then you can write:

##Z_in = Z_p - \frac{Z_m^2}{Z_s}##

The "j" of the mutual inductance squares out to -1, cancelling with the "-" of the term.

eehelp150 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 109038

Homework Equations

-j2||j1 = 2i+

Ztotal = 2.1+0.8i
Is this correct?
I did:
load impedance ZL = (j1 || -j2) + 2 = 2 + j2
for the input impedance to the xfmr including the load: (-7 + j4)/(2 + j4)
then add source impedance Zs = 2 - j1 giving total input impedance = (-7 + j4)/(2 + j4) + 2 - j1 = 2.1 + j0.8
which agrees with your result also. You seem to have come up with a faster way, to your credit!

Related to Calculating Impedance for a Source: Solution Attempt

What is impedance seen by source?

Impedance seen by source refers to the total impedance that a source experiences when connected to a load. It takes into account the internal impedance of the source and the impedance of the load, as well as any other components in the circuit.

How is impedance seen by source calculated?

To calculate the impedance seen by source, you need to add the internal impedance of the source and the impedance of the load. If there are any other components in the circuit, their impedance should also be included in the calculation. The resulting value is the total impedance seen by the source.

Why is impedance seen by source important?

Impedance seen by source is important because it determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. If the impedance seen by source is too high, it can limit the amount of current that can be delivered to the load, resulting in reduced performance or malfunction of the circuit.

How does impedance seen by source affect circuit design?

Impedance seen by source is an important factor to consider in circuit design. It can affect the choice of components and the overall performance of the circuit. Designers aim to minimize the impedance seen by source to ensure efficient and reliable circuit operation.

How can impedance seen by source be controlled?

The impedance seen by source can be controlled by using components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors in the circuit. These components can be used to adjust the impedance and ensure that it is within the desired range for optimal circuit performance.