Impedances in a 5 element circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem related to impedance and current in a circuit. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding the solution provided by their teacher and is asking for hints and clarification. The conversation also mentions the use of loop current method and current equalities in solving the problem.
gimak

Homework Statement

upload_2017-6-20_22-42-59.png

upload_2017-6-20_22-43-14.png

Just help me with 18 b.

Homework Equations

V1 = c1I1Z1. Same for V2,3,45. V = V1+V2+V3+V4+V5. V/I=Z=impedance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe because of symmetry Z1=Z2 & Z3=Z4. Perhaps Z5 takes out one of the branches? Can I get a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying to read your image gives me eyestrain, but if Z1=Z2 & Z3=Z4 then what is I5 ?

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApJAu5EMYb4JgpYy68UWlGVzp0PVLQ -- Here's the link if it helps you see better. problem 18b.
phinds said:
Trying to read your image gives me eyestrain, but if Z1=Z2 & Z3=Z4 then what is I5 ?
I would not assume anything is equal to another unless the problem explicitly says that

gimak said:
I would not assume anything is equal to another unless the problem explicitly says that
I am following up on what YOU said not what the problem statement said
gimak said:
1Maybe because of symmetry Z1=Z2 & Z3=Z4

One more thing: I still don't know how they jumped from the 2nd to last line to the last line in this problem (in the answer I mean).

1. What is impedance in a 5 element circuit?

Impedance in a 5 element circuit refers to the total opposition to current flow in the circuit, caused by the combination of resistance, inductance, and capacitance. It is measured in ohms and can affect the performance of the circuit.

2. How is impedance calculated in a 5 element circuit?

Impedance in a 5 element circuit is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance is equal to the square root of the sum of the square of resistance, inductance, and capacitance. It can also be calculated using complex numbers and phasor diagrams.

3. What is the relationship between impedance and frequency in a 5 element circuit?

In a 5 element circuit, impedance and frequency have an inverse relationship. As frequency increases, the impedance decreases and vice versa. This relationship is important in designing and analyzing circuits, as it can affect the performance of the circuit at different frequencies.

4. How does the number of elements in a circuit affect its impedance?

The number of elements in a circuit can affect its impedance by changing the overall resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the circuit. Adding or removing elements can alter the impedance and potentially change the behavior and performance of the circuit.

5. Can impedance be negative in a 5 element circuit?

Yes, impedance can be negative in a 5 element circuit. This occurs when the circuit contains a combination of capacitors and inductors, which can cancel out each other's effects and result in a negative impedance. This phenomenon is known as reactance and is commonly seen in AC circuits.