Does CMBR Cooling Mirror Black Body Radiation Processes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of conducting an experiment to test whether the wavelength distribution of 3000k radiation cooling down to 2.7K is identical to that of the radiation from a 2.7K black body. The conversation also brings up the idea of redshift in relation to space expansion and the equation for density of radiation. The participants question whether their conjecture is valid and if it can be tested in a laboratory setting. They also discuss the limitations of simulating space expansion in a lab.
nonspace
Hello,
I am sorry. I apologize for my poor English.

[ Implicit assumption of CMBR? ]

It is not certain whether this kind of experiment has already been conducted. Still, it need be tested whether the wavelength distribution of 3000k radiation cooling down to 2.7K is completely identical to that of the radiation from a 2.7K black body.

Case-1
3000K black body -->cooling down black body -->2.7K black body --> 2.7K radiation
(thermal equilibrium state?) -------------------> (thermal equilibrium state?)

Case-2
3000K black body --> 3000K radiation --> cooling down radiation(2.7K)
(thermal equilibrium state?) ------------> (adiabatic expansion and redshifted?)

Can we completely trust that case-1 is equal to case-2?

For the experiment, 600K~1200K radiation needs cooling down to 300K or so, and the resulting values need be compared with those of radiation from the black body has a 300K.

Attachments

• Black_body_svg-jp.jpg
    Black_body_svg-jp.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 536
  • 600px-Cmbr_svg -cobe-jp.jpg
    600px-Cmbr_svg -cobe-jp.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
[tex]I(\nu,T)=\frac{2h\nu^3}{c^2}\frac{1}{e^{h\nu/(kT)}-1}[/tex]

A red-shift with factor z now changes ##\nu \to \frac{\nu}{z}## and ##I \to \frac{I}{z^3}## (as space is 3-dimensional) and we want to test if this can be explained with ##T \to \frac{T}{z}##

Well, simply look at the equation: If you divide ##\nu## and T by z, the expression in the exponential stays the same, and both the first fraction and I scale get divided by z^3.

mfb said:
[tex]I(\nu,T)=\frac{2h\nu^3}{c^2}\frac{1}{e^{h\nu/(kT)}-1}[/tex]

A red-shift with factor z now changes ##\nu \to \frac{\nu}{z}## and ##I \to \frac{I}{z^3}## (as space is 3-dimensional) and we want to test if this can be explained with ##T \to \frac{T}{z}##

Well, simply look at the equation: If you divide ##\nu## and T by z, the expression in the exponential stays the same, and both the first fraction and I scale get divided by z^3.
Thank you very much!
In the density equation of radiation,
[tex]{R^{3(1 + {w_{rad}})}}{u_{rad}} = {R^4}{u_{rad}} = {u_{rad,0}} = a{T_0}^4[/tex]
It is estimated that R^3 was formed due to the volume of the universe increase, and that the rest R^1 was generated because of photon's cosmological redshift(by expanding space). Thus, we can derive a formula, RT = T0.

For [tex]\frac{\nu }{T} \Rightarrow \frac{\nu }{T}[/tex] valid on, [tex]RT = {T_0}[/tex] should be valid.

If space does not expand, our conjecture(case-1 = case-2) is not valid?
Can we test it at the laboratory?(In above sentence, "Space" does not mean the universe.)

Last edited:
nonspace said:
If space does not expand, our conjecture(case-1 = case-2) is not valid?
Which case 1 and 2?

Can we test it at the laboratory?(In above sentence, "Space" does not mean the universe.)
How to simulate expansion of space in the lab? There are some tests where analogies to GR are made in other setups, but that does not give a real expansion of space.

Thank you for your question. The implicit assumption of CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) is that it is the remnant of the Big Bang and has a black body spectrum with a temperature of 2.7K. This assumption is based on observations and theoretical models of the early universe.

In order to test this assumption, experiments have been conducted to measure the spectrum of CMBR and compare it to that of a 2.7K black body. These experiments have shown a high level of agreement, providing strong evidence for the validity of this assumption.

However, as with any scientific theory, it is important to continue testing and questioning our assumptions. The two cases you have described, while interesting, do not change the overall understanding of CMBR as the remnant of the Big Bang. The adiabatic expansion and redshift of radiation in Case-2 is already taken into account in the theories and models used to explain CMBR.

In conclusion, while it is important to continue questioning and testing our assumptions in science, the evidence for CMBR as the remnant of the Big Bang is strong and supported by numerous experiments and observations.

Related to Does CMBR Cooling Mirror Black Body Radiation Processes?

1. What is the implicit assumption of CMBR?

The implicit assumption of CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) is that it is a remnant of the Big Bang. This means that the CMBR was created during the initial expansion and cooling of the universe, and it has been continuously traveling through space since then.

2. How is CMBR related to the Big Bang theory?

CMBR is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. According to the theory, the universe was extremely hot and dense in its early stages, and as it expanded, it cooled down. The CMBR is the residual heat leftover from this early hot and dense state, and it provides a snapshot of the universe's temperature at that time.

3. Is the CMBR evenly distributed throughout the universe?

Yes, the CMBR is almost perfectly uniform and isotropic (the same in all directions) across the entire sky. This is known as the "cosmic microwave background radiation isotropy." Any slight variations in temperature are considered to be the seeds for the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe.

4. How was the CMBR discovered?

The CMBR was accidentally discovered in 1965 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson using a radio telescope. They were trying to eliminate background noise in their instruments, but they found that there was a constant hiss coming from all directions. This hiss turned out to be the CMBR, and it provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory.

5. Can CMBR be used to study the early universe?

Yes, CMBR is a valuable tool for studying the early universe. By analyzing the slight variations in temperature, scientists can gain insights into the conditions of the universe shortly after the Big Bang. CMBR also helps to confirm other predictions of the Big Bang theory, such as the age of the universe and the amount of dark matter and dark energy present.