What is the Second Derivative Using Implicit Differentiation?

In summary, to find y", you need to first use the product rule to find the first derivative, which is then expressed as 1-y. Then, you differentiate this expression implicitly again to find the second derivative, y".
superjen
Use Implicit Differentiation to find y" if

xy + y - x = 1

so far i got

1y + dy/dx - dx/dx = 1/dx

then i did

y + y' - 1 = 0
y' = 1-y

i don't understand how to get the y" . i don't think i even have y' done right!

Physics news on Phys.org
superjen said:
Use Implicit Differentiation to find y" if

xy + y - x = 1

so far i got

1y + dy/dx - dx/dx = 1/dx

Careful; [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(xy)\neq y[/tex]...you need to use the product rule.

And, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(1)=0\neq\frac{1}{dx}[/tex]

Perhaps to provide additional help, once you correctly find the first derivative, express it in terms of y' alone and then differentiate implicitly again.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. It is used when it is not possible or convenient to express the equation in terms of a single variable.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function with respect to a given variable that is explicitly stated in the equation. On the other hand, implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of a single variable. It requires the use of the chain rule and implicit differentiation formula.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the dependent variable cannot be easily solved for in terms of the independent variable. It is also used when the equation involves multiple variables or when the equation is not in a standard form.

What is the process of implicit differentiation?

The process of implicit differentiation involves differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. The chain rule is used to differentiate the dependent variable, and the derivative of the independent variable is simply 1. The resulting equation can then be solved for the derivative.

What are some real-life applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and curve fitting. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum point on a production cost curve, or to determine the rate of change of temperature over time in a chemical reaction.