1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral concept help.

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    Ok, my book has the example int from -1 to 2 of dx/x^3

this gets split into int from -1 to 0 of dx/x^3 and int from 0 to 2 of dx/x^3.

Now, he had previously determined that the second integral returned positive infinity (diverges) by taking the lim as b approaches 0+.

So, the book goes on to say that since the second integral diverges the original integral also diverges.

--> but what does that mean? is "divergers" the answer to "evaluate the int from -1 to 2 of dx/x^3" ? Or does it mean the the answer is just infinity?

Can anyone explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It means that it diverges.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    so what is the answer ??? what does this mean ?? what should I conclude from this? does it mean that I shoudl stope evaluating the original improper integral???

I would appreciate HELPFUL input. If you aren't going to clarify the solution, please igonre the thread.

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There is none.
    That the expression is meaningless.
    Quite so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?