Solving Improper Integral: X/(sqrt(1+x^6) dx

In summary: That's what I meant.Please provide a precise asymptotic meaning for \sim.The asymptotic behavior is that as x gets larger, the function approaches the function x/(x^3).
Song
basically I'm stuck with this problem...

Integral the upper limit is positive infinite and the lower limit is 1
X/(sqrt(1+x^6) dx...

can someone give me an idea on how to start this?...I really don't know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's this...?

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{6}}} \ dx \ = ...? [/tex]

Daniel.

If so, then

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{6}}} \ dx = {}_{2}F_{1}\left(\frac{1}{6},\frac{1}{2}; \frac{7}{6}; -1\right) [/tex]

, with F Gauss' hypergeometric function.

Daniel.

Last edited:
I don't know how to do that. How do you use the comparison theorem to do this? Thanks.

What comparison theorem are you referring to ...?

A simple substitution [itex] x^{2}=t [/itex] will bring your integral to a simpler form, however that wouldn't help too much.

Daniel.

It's always a good idea to state your question in full. I suspect yours is

Prove the integral [tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{6}}} \ dx[/tex] is convergent.

Specifically you don't care about finding a value for this integral. When x is large, what simple polynomial is the denominator kinda like? This should suggest a function for your comparison test.

When X is large, x/(sqrt(1+x^6)) is getting close to the x-axis?
x/(sqrt(1+x^2)) is greater than x/(sqrt(1+x^6))..is my logic right?

I'm sorry that I didn't state my question clearly at the beginning.

[tex] \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{6}}} [/tex] is about [tex] \frac{x}{x^{3}} = \frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]. Since [tex] \frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex] is convergent ([tex] p > 1 [/tex]), then so is the original integral by the comparison test (the original function is less than the new function)

Last edited:
but why did you choose x/(x^3)?

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ x^{6}}}= \frac{1}{ \sqrt{x^{6}}} = \frac{1}{x^{3}} [/tex]. The 1 doesn't matter for large enough x.

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ x^{6}}}= \frac{1}{ \sqrt{x^{6}}} = \frac{1}{x^{3}} [/tex]. The 1 doesn't matter for large enough x.

I don't consider pointing this out to be picky- you never have [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ x^{6}}}= \frac{1}{ \sqrt{x^{6}}}[/tex].

Much better to write [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+ x^{6}}}\sim \frac{1}{ \sqrt{x^{6}}}[/tex] with a precise asymptotic meaning behind [tex]\sim[/tex].

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral with one or both limits of integration being infinite or the function being integrated becomes infinite at one or more points within the interval of integration.

2. How do I determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent, you can use the limit comparison test, comparison test, or the integral test. If the limit of the improper integral is finite, then it is convergent. If the limit is infinite or does not exist, then it is divergent.

3. What is the process for solving an improper integral?

The process for solving an improper integral involves breaking the integral into smaller, finite integrals and then taking the limit as the boundaries of integration approach infinity or negative infinity. If the limit exists and is finite, then the improper integral is convergent and can be solved using the standard rules of integration.

4. Can I use substitution to solve an improper integral?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve an improper integral. However, you must be careful to choose a substitution that will make the integral convergent. If the substitution does not make the integral convergent, then it cannot be used to solve the improper integral.

5. Is there a general formula for solving all improper integrals?

No, there is no general formula for solving all improper integrals. Each integral must be approached individually and different techniques may be needed depending on the form of the integral. It is important to carefully evaluate the limits and choose appropriate methods for solving each specific improper integral.