Improper Integral: Solving with Substitution Method

In summary, Daniel Akkerma suggests that you try dividing the denominator by 9 and then setting z^2(!) = x^6/9; this allows you to find the integral easily.
tahayassen
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} \\
= \int\limits_{ - \infty }^0 {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} + \int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} \\
= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{t \to - \infty } \int\limits_t^0 {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} + \mathop {\lim }\limits_{m \to \infty } \int\limits_0^m {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}}
\end{array}[/tex]

I had this problem on a test yesterday and I couldn't solve it. I tried to reduce the denominator to irreducible quadratic factors and then use partial fractions, but it was impossible. I couldn't see an obvious substitution, but apparently you were supposed to solve it by substitution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the following?
[tex]x^6+9 = (x^2+\sqrt[3]{3})(x^4-x^2\sqrt[3]{3}+3\sqrt[3]{3})[/tex]?
Then via Fractional decomposition?
(Edited!, mistook +9, for -9)

Last edited:
danielakkerma said:
Have you tried the following?
[tex]x^6+9 = (x^3-3)(x^3+3)[/tex]?
Then:
[tex]\frac{1}{(x^3-3)(x^3+3)} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{x^3-3}+\frac{1}{x^3+3})[/tex]

HOW DID YOU GET THOSE FACTORS? I spent ages trying to factor it!

Edit: Wait a second. You can't apply partial fractions to cubic factors.

Yes, sorry, I edited my original post :)...
Spoke too soon. How about the alternative?

Okay, here's a way:
Try dividing the denominator by 9;
You should get:
[tex]\frac{1}{9}\frac{x^2}{\frac{x^6}{9}+1}[/tex]
Then set z^2(!) = x^6/9;
By differentiation:
[tex]2zdz=\frac{6x^5}{9}dx[/tex]
Substitute, and integrate as necessary.

[itex](x^3+ 3)(x^3- 3)= x^6- 9[/itex], not [itex]x^6+ 9[/itex], which is why daniel akkerma changed his factorization. (But too late, his mistake will "live in infamy"!):tongue:

Personally, I see no reason to factor [itex]x^6+ 9[/itex] at all. Instead, with that "[itex]x^2[/itex]" in the numerator, let [itex]u= x^3[/itex] so that [itex]du= 3x^2dx[/itex] and [itex](1/3)du= x^2dx[/itex] so the integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int\frac{du}{u^2+ 6}[/tex]
which can be integrated as an arctangent.

(edit- That appears to be what daniel akkerma is suggesting the his post just before mine- that was posted while I was still typing.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I am really sorry about, Ivy & Taha.
For some reason I descried +9 as -9... Mysterious are the ways of the brain, etc, etc, etc :D...
Sorry!
Excellent choice of substitution from you, btw. I still like mine via z^2 though; Feels more direct.

One thing that no one mentioned yet is that since the integrand is an even function, it suffices to find ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x) dx## and double it.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have finite limits of integration or has a function that is not continuous at some points within the limits of integration. In other words, the integral does not have a defined value using the standard integration methods.

2. How is substitution used to solve improper integrals?

Substitution is used to transform an improper integral into a proper integral, which can then be solved using standard integration techniques. This is done by substituting a new variable for the original variable in the integrand, which allows for the limits of integration to be changed and the function to become continuous within those limits.

3. What are the steps for solving an improper integral using substitution?

The steps for solving an improper integral using substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the improper integral and determine if it can be solved using substitution.
  2. Choose an appropriate substitution, typically a variable that appears in the integrand.
  3. Substitute the new variable into the integrand and change the limits of integration accordingly.
  4. Simplify the integral using the new variable and solve using standard integration methods.
  5. Substitute the original variable back into the solution to obtain the final answer.

4. What are some common functions used for substitution in solving improper integrals?

Some common functions used for substitution in solving improper integrals include trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. Other functions that appear in the integrand may also be used for substitution, depending on the specific integral being solved.

5. What are some tips for choosing an appropriate substitution for solving an improper integral?

When choosing a substitution, it is important to look for a variable that appears in the integrand and can be easily substituted. This can be a variable that is raised to a power, has a trigonometric function, or is part of an exponential or logarithmic function. It is also helpful to choose a substitution that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve using standard integration methods.