1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} \\
    = \int\limits_{ - \infty }^0 {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} + \int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} \\
    = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{t \to - \infty } \int\limits_t^0 {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}} + \mathop {\lim }\limits_{m \to \infty } \int\limits_0^m {\frac{{{x^2}}}{{{x^6} + 9}}}
    \end{array}[/tex]

I had this problem on a test yesterday and I couldn't solve it. I tried to reduce the denominator to irreducible quadratic factors and then use partial fractions, but it was impossible. I couldn't see an obvious substitution, but apparently you were supposed to solve it by substitution.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2
    Have you tried the following?
    [tex]x^6+9 = (x^2+\sqrt[3]{3})(x^4-x^2\sqrt[3]{3}+3\sqrt[3]{3})[/tex]?
    Then via Fractional decomposition?
    (Edited!, mistook +9, for -9)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. Feb 2, 2013 #3
    HOW DID YOU GET THOSE FACTORS? I spent ages trying to factor it!

Edit: Wait a second. You can't apply partial fractions to cubic factors.

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4
    Yes, sorry, I edited my original post :)...
    Spoke too soon. How about the alternative?

6. Feb 2, 2013 #5
    Okay, here's a way:
    Try dividing the denominator by 9;
    You should get:
    [tex]\frac{1}{9}\frac{x^2}{\frac{x^6}{9}+1}[/tex]
    Then set z^2(!) = x^6/9;
    By differentiation:
    [tex]2zdz=\frac{6x^5}{9}dx[/tex]
    Substitute, and integrate as necessary.

7. Feb 2, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex](x^3+ 3)(x^3- 3)= x^6- 9[/itex], not [itex]x^6+ 9[/itex], which is why daniel akkerma changed his factorization. (But too late, his mistake will "live in infamy"!):tongue:

Personally, I see no reason to factor [itex]x^6+ 9[/itex] at all. Instead, with that "[itex]x^2[/itex]" in the numerator, let [itex]u= x^3[/itex] so that [itex]du= 3x^2dx[/itex] and [itex](1/3)du= x^2dx[/itex] so the integral becomes
    [tex]\frac{1}{3}\int\frac{du}{u^2+ 6}[/tex]
    which can be integrated as an arctangent.

(edit- That appears to be what daniel akkerma is suggesting the his post just before mine- that was posted while I was still typing.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Feb 2, 2013 #7
    Yeah, I am really sorry about, Ivy & Taha.
    For some reason I descried +9 as -9... Mysterious are the ways of the brain, etc, etc, etc :D...
    Sorry!
    Excellent choice of substitution from you, btw. I still like mine via z^2 though; Feels more direct.

9. Feb 2, 2013 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One thing that no one mentioned yet is that since the integrand is an even function, it suffices to find ## \int_0^{\infty} f(x) dx## and double it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook