Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Impulse and final velocity

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    The force shown in the force-time diagram acts on a 538 g object. Find the final velocity of the object if it is initially at rest. Answer in m/s.
    diagram.jpg
    I correctly found the impulse by determining the area underneath the curve. It's 7 N s. I know that we can determine the final velocity by using this equation: I=m∆v. I also saw a topic somewhere on this site where someone suggested the same formula. I used this formula and I get the wrong answer.
    7 = .583(vf - 0) vf = 13.011m/s
    I also tried inputting -13.011m/s and that was also incorrect. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Hmm, I can't see what you've done wrong. I get the exact same answer !!

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    so you get 7=.583vf? then you just divide and get 12.0007 right? or am i missing something. at any rate. is this an online problem? because if it tells you to give velocity in m/s you don't have to write the units in your submitted answer... usually. did you try that?

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    My dyslexia always seems to kick in at the worst moments. I got it. Thanks guys.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook