How Is Final Velocity Calculated from Impulse?

In summary, the force shown in the force-time diagram acts on a 538 g object and the final velocity of the object, initially at rest, can be determined using the equation I=m∆v. The impulse was correctly found by determining the area underneath the curve to be 7 N s. However, there was an error in inputting the formula, resulting in an incorrect answer. After correcting the error, the final velocity was found to be 13.011 m/s. One possible reason for the error was a case of dyslexia.
AdnamaLeigh
The force shown in the force-time diagram acts on a 538 g object. Find the final velocity of the object if it is initially at rest. Answer in m/s.
diagram.jpg

I correctly found the impulse by determining the area underneath the curve. It's 7 N s. I know that we can determine the final velocity by using this equation: I=m∆v. I also saw a topic somewhere on this site where someone suggested the same formula. I used this formula and I get the wrong answer.
7 = .583(vf - 0) vf = 13.011m/s
I also tried inputting -13.011m/s and that was also incorrect. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I can't see what you've done wrong. I get the exact same answer !

so you get 7=.583vf? then you just divide and get 12.0007 right? or am i missing something. at any rate. is this an online problem? because if it tells you to give velocity in m/s you don't have to write the units in your submitted answer... usually. did you try that?

My dyslexia always seems to kick in at the worst moments. I got it. Thanks guys.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and is represented by the equation J = F * t. It is a measure of the change in momentum of an object and is typically measured in Newton-seconds (N*s).

2. How is impulse related to final velocity?

According to the impulse-momentum theorem, the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in the object's momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, which in turn will result in a larger final velocity.

3. Can impulse cause an object to change direction?

Yes, impulse can cause an object to change direction. This is because impulse is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Therefore, if the direction of the impulse is different from the direction of the object's initial velocity, the object will change direction.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its final velocity when acted upon by a given impulse?

The mass of an object has an inverse relationship with its final velocity when acted upon by a given impulse. This means that the larger the mass of the object, the smaller its final velocity will be for a given impulse, and vice versa.

5. Is there a limit to how much an object's final velocity can increase due to impulse?

Yes, there is a limit to how much an object's final velocity can increase due to impulse. This limit is determined by the object's mass and the magnitude of the impulse, and is represented by the equation Δv = J / m, where Δv is the change in velocity, J is the impulse, and m is the mass of the object.