1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and final velocity

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    The force shown in the force-time diagram acts on a 538 g object. Find the final velocity of the object if it is initially at rest. Answer in m/s.
    [​IMG]
    I correctly found the impulse by determining the area underneath the curve. It's 7 N s. I know that we can determine the final velocity by using this equation: I=m∆v. I also saw a topic somewhere on this site where someone suggested the same formula. I used this formula and I get the wrong answer.
    7 = .583(vf - 0) vf = 13.011m/s
    I also tried inputting -13.011m/s and that was also incorrect. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Hmm, I can't see what you've done wrong. I get the exact same answer !!

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    so you get 7=.583vf? then you just divide and get 12.0007 right? or am i missing something. at any rate. is this an online problem? because if it tells you to give velocity in m/s you don't have to write the units in your submitted answer... usually. did you try that?

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    My dyslexia always seems to kick in at the worst moments. I got it. Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?