Impulse Question Homework: Find Magnitude of Impulse Exerted by Particle B on A

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, two particles of different masses collide in opposite directions with given initial speeds and end up with the same final speed. To find the magnitude of the impulse exerted by one particle on the other, we can use the equation I = m(v-u), where I is the change in momentum, m is the mass, v is the final speed, and u is the initial speed. Since the forces exerted by each particle on the other are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, it doesn't matter which mass is used in the equation as long as the same value is used for both. By using the given information and the law of conservation of momentum, the value of m can be determined.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B, of mass 0.3 kg and m kg respectively, are moving in opposite
directions along the same straight horizontal line so that the particles collide directly.
Immediately before the collision, the speeds of A and B are 8 m s–1 and 4 m s–1 respectively.
In the collision the direction of motion of each particle is reversed and, immediately after
the collision, the speed of each particle is 2 m s–1. Find:

a) the magnitude of the impulse exerted by B on A in the collision

Homework Equations

I = m(v-u)

The Attempt at a Solution

How do i know what mass to use? the mass m or 0.3? Is there a rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well. I = Ft, and by Newtons Third law, the magnitudes of the Forces should be negatives of each other, and the time of contact is obviously the same for both. Also, due to the Conservation of Momentum, I, which is just change in momentum, but also be the same magnitude for both particles.

So basically, really, it doesn't matter which you sub in because you are to get the same value, but since you don't actually know the value of m, putting that into the equation won't give an answer, though putting in 0.3 will.

From the previous information, you should now be able to determine m.

Ahh i can use either ball. I see :)

I can get m easy.

Thank you very much :)

1. What is an impulse?

An impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a certain period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the time period in which it is applied.

2. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related. The impulse exerted on an object is equal to the change in momentum of that object.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of impulse?

The magnitude of impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force applied to an object by the time period in which it is applied. This can be represented mathematically as Impulse = F * Δt.

4. What is the unit of impulse?

The unit of impulse is Newton-second (N*s) or kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

5. How does an impulse affect an object's motion?

An impulse can change the direction and speed of an object's motion. If the impulse is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase its speed. If the impulse is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the object's speed or even stop it completely.