In which region is it possible for electric potential = 0?

In summary, the conversation discussed two charges, 4uC and -2uC, that are 0.01m apart and the question of where along the line connecting the charges the electric potential could be zero. The equation for electric potential of a point charge, V=kQ/r, and the rule for combining electric potentials were mentioned as possible hints for solving the problem. It was also noted that for a point charge at the origin, V= kQ/r.
pinkie9211
Two charges that are shown:
I (4uC) II (-2uC) III
In which regions all the line connecting the charges is it possible for the electric potential to be zero?

1. Homework Statement

They are 0.01m apart

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the 4uC charge and the -2uC charge are going to attract...but I have no idea where the potential could be equal to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
What is the equation for the electric potential of a point charge?
What si the rule for combining electric potentials?

V= kQ/r

and I'm not sure...

Indeed ##V(\vec r)=kQ/r## for a point charge ##Q## at the origin.
If you have two or more charges, then the electric potentials add up.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific location in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific location.

3. What does it mean for electric potential to be equal to 0?

An electric potential of 0 means that there is no potential difference between two points in the electric field, indicating that the charge will not experience a force when moving between those points.

4. In which region is it possible for electric potential to be equal to 0?

Electric potential can be equal to 0 in regions where the electric field is constant or where the electric field is perpendicular to the equipotential lines.

5. Why is it important to know where electric potential is equal to 0?

Knowing where electric potential is equal to 0 can help us understand the behavior of charges in an electric field and can also help us identify regions where charges will experience no force or work.