What is the Solution to an Inclined Plane with Pulley Problem?

In summary: So the pulley is pulling the block down.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a block, a pulley, and an inclined plane. The problem asks for the acceleration of the block and the mass of the pulley. The solution involves setting up equations using the tension in the rope, the gravitational force, and the acceleration of the block and pulley. However, there is a discrepancy between the stated answer and the solution using the given information.
wy125

Homework Statement

The included image shows the problem in its entirety. The problem is from a physics review book that I have which also includes the answer, but the explanation is beyond me. I was hoping someone could walk me through the solution.

T, the rope tension (constant throughout the rope)
mb - the mass of the block = 20 kg
mp - the mass of the lower pulley = unknown
F as the net force acting on the pulley (shown in image) = 100 N
[tex]\vartheta[/tex], the angle of incline = 30 degrees

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7307/pullyramp.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's how I tackled this:

(1) ab = 2 ap The acceleration of the block is twice that of the pulley, since moving the pulley a distance d results in the block moving a distance 2d

A free-body diagram for the block shows that the forces pushing the block up or down the ramp are T, the rope tension pushing up, and gravity acting to move the block down the ramp.

So, taking the direction up the block to be positive we have:

(2) T - mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = mbab

Similarly for the bottom pulley we have (taking down to be positive)

(3) 2T - F = mpap

That's as far as I get. I have 4 unknowns: T, mp, ap, ab

but only 3 equations.

Any insight or help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either they meant the pulley massless, or F being its gravitational force.
I believe in other cases the problem only solvable as a function of mass of the pulley.
So let's rewrite (2) as
[tex] T = m_{b} g sin(\theta) [/tex]

I know you can solve it from here.

magwas said:
So let's rewrite (2) as
[tex] T = m_{b} g sin(\theta) [/tex]

If we let that be the case, then the tension in the rope is balancing out the gravitational force along the ramp, which means that there is no acceleration. From the solution given, I can tell you that there is a nonzero acceleration. Have I missed something in your analysis?

Thank you for your quick reply by the way!

Either g <> 10 m/s^2, but 9.81 m/s^2, or we should figure out where the other end of the rope fixed, or something I cannot figure out.

ahh.
T=F/2=50N //it is (3) with massless pulley
Fgrav=m*g*sin(theta)=~100N (using g=10) // this is not the rope tension, just the gravitational force in the direction of rope

Facceleration=T-Fgrav =~ 50N

I'm not sure I'm following you exactly. What would you say the acceleration of the block is? 50N/20kg = 2.5 m/s? If so, that's not the stated answer. Of course the stated answer could be wrong. That is the answer i got btw the first time I tried this, but I don't think it's right to assume that T = 1/2 F because the system is accelerating. I'm not sure though -- that's why I'm here :smile:

Yes, I would say 2.5 m/s.
And I think that T=1/2F whether the block accelerates or not.
I can be wrong, of course.
What is the stated answer?

The stated answer is 5 m/s up the incline. By the way the acceleration we get from using T= 50 N results in acceleration of the block down the plane.

What is an inclined plane with pulley?

An inclined plane with pulley is a simple machine that combines the benefits of both an inclined plane and a pulley. It consists of a sloped surface and a pulley system, which work together to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

How does an inclined plane with pulley work?

The inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. The pulley system then further reduces the force by distributing the weight of the object evenly among multiple ropes.

What are the advantages of using an inclined plane with pulley?

An inclined plane with pulley can lift heavy objects with less force, making it easier for humans to perform tasks. It also allows for the use of a longer ramp, which can be more practical in certain situations. Additionally, the pulley system allows for the weight of the object to be distributed, reducing the risk of injury.

What are some real-life examples of an inclined plane with pulley?

An inclined plane with pulley can be found in various forms, such as a ramp with a pulley at the top to assist with lifting heavy objects, or a conveyor belt system that uses an inclined plane and pulleys to move objects. Elevators and cranes also use inclined plane with pulley mechanisms.

What factors affect the efficiency of an inclined plane with pulley?

The efficiency of an inclined plane with pulley depends on several factors, such as the angle of the ramp, the number and type of pulleys used, and the weight of the object being lifted. Friction between the ramp and the object, as well as the ropes and pulleys, can also affect the efficiency of the machine.