Incomplete Cancellation of Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance L = 9.5 cm from the midpoint of two long wires conducting 25.2 A of dc current, with a diameter of 2.92 mm and a distance of L = 9.5 cm apart. The equation used is B = mu0*I/2pi*r and the value of r is determined by subtracting a value, x, from L based on the distance from the central axis of each wire. The final solution will involve adding the two magnetic fields as vectors.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

HW14_5.jpg

A long pair of wires serves to conduct I = 25.2 A of dc current to and from an instrument. If the wires are of negligible diameter but are d = 2.92 mm apart,

what is the magnitude |B| of the magnetic field a distance L = 9.5 cm from their midpoint, in their plane?

What is the ratio |B|/|BEarth|, where |BEarth| = 5.0 × 10-5 is the magnetic field of the Earth.

Homework Equations

B = mu0*I/2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that to find B it's just a matter of plugging in the current into the equation above and the r I am not sure about. Someone please clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
When using the formula for the magnetic field of a long straight wire, remember that r is the distance from the central axis of the wire to the point where you want to find B.

In your case, for one of the wires r will be a little bit less than L. How much less?
For the other wire r will be a little bit more than L. How much more?

TSny said:
When using the formula for the magnetic field of a long straight wire, remember that r is the distance from the central axis of the wire to the point where you want to find B.

In your case, for one of the wires r will be a little bit less than L. How much less?
For the other wire r will be a little bit more than L. How much more?

Would L be L+r and L-r? Where r is .095m ?

Angie K. said:
Would L be L+r and L-r? Where r is .095m ?

No, L = .095 m.

Note that r is the symbol for the distance from the center of a wire to the the point where you want to find B. For example, consider the wire that is closest to the point where you want to find B. You can see that r for this wire will be a little less than L.

So, if you let x be how much less, then r = L - x. From the diagram and the information given in the problem, can you see how to determine x?

Last edited:
TSny said:
No, L = .095 m.

Note that r is the symbol for the distance from the center of a wire to the the point where you want to find B. For example, consider the wire that is closest to the point where you want to find B. You can see that r for this wire will be a little less than L. So, if you let x be how much less, then r = L - x. From the diagram and the information given in the problem, can you see how to determine x?

Would the x be half the diameter of the wire?

Angie K. said:
Would the x be half the diameter of the wire?
Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.

So I have B when r is a little less than L and when it is a little more than L. Now do I just add the two magnetic fields?

Yes, but you need to add them as vectors. In other words, you need to take into account the direction of each B field.

Got it. Thank you very much

1. What is incomplete cancellation of magnetic field?

Incomplete cancellation of magnetic field refers to a situation in which the magnetic field produced by two or more sources does not completely cancel out, resulting in a residual magnetic field in the space between the sources.

2. How does incomplete cancellation of magnetic field occur?

Incomplete cancellation of magnetic field can occur when the magnetic fields produced by the sources have different strengths or orientations, or when they are located at different distances from the point of interest.

3. What are the effects of incomplete cancellation of magnetic field?

The effects of incomplete cancellation of magnetic field can vary depending on the strength and orientation of the residual magnetic field. In some cases, it may cause interference with electronic devices, while in others it may have no noticeable effects.

4. How can incomplete cancellation of magnetic field be minimized?

To minimize the effects of incomplete cancellation of magnetic field, sources of magnetic field can be carefully positioned and oriented to cancel out each other's fields as much as possible. Shielding materials can also be used to block or redirect the magnetic field.

5. Can incomplete cancellation of magnetic field be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate incomplete cancellation of magnetic field. However, it can be reduced to a negligible level through careful design and positioning of magnetic sources.