Indefinite Integration Problem

In summary, the conversation is about an indefinite integration problem involving a definite integral. The original poster asks for help in checking their solution and understanding the concept of replacing constants. Another user suggests using definite integrals to solve the problem and combining the constants into one. Finally, a solution is presented that involves using the initial condition v(0)=v_0 to obtain a final equation. The conversation also includes links to images of the problem and solution.
opticaltempest
Calc I - Simple Indefinite Integration Problem

Hello,

Here is an indefinite integration problem I have been
working on. Would anyone be willing to check my solution?
Are my assumptions about replacing the C and -C correct?

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8933/problem0kw.jpg"

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/2315/solution9zq.jpg"

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set up your integrals as definite integrals and the constants will take care of themselves! :)

This is my first section on covering integrals so I haven't covered definite integrals yet.

It would make more sense to combine the two constants (and would be much better to use different letters to represent them) into one, then determine its value.

I got some more help on this problem today but I am still stuck. It was suggested to
me that after realizing v(0)=v_0 we can come up with

v_0^2 = 2GM(1/R) + C

How can we conclude this?
Why replace the 1/y with 1/R ?Here is the entire solution that was presented to me
--------------------------------------------------

v^2 = 2GM(1/y) + C

then from v(0)=v_0 we would have obtained

[v_0]^2 = 2GM(1/R) + C

C = [v_0]^2 - 2GM(1/R)

so that

v^2 = 2GM(1/y) + [v_0]^2 - 2GM(1/R)

which can be rewritten as

v^2 = [v_0]^2 + 2GM( 1/y - 1/R)
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6539/solution14yb.jpg"

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5108/solution20jn.jpg"

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration is a mathematical process used to find the most general antiderivative of a given function. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration gives a general solution to a function, while definite integration gives a specific numerical value for the area under a curve. Indefinite integration involves adding a constant of integration, while definite integration involves finding upper and lower limits of integration.

What are the steps for solving an indefinite integration problem?

The general steps for solving an indefinite integration problem are: 1) Identify the given function and its basic form, 2) Use integration rules and techniques to find the most general antiderivative, 3) Check the result by differentiating the solution, and 4) Add a constant of integration to the final answer.

What are some common integration rules and techniques?

Some common integration rules and techniques include the power rule, integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric integrals. These techniques are used to simplify the given function and make it easier to integrate.

Why is indefinite integration important in science?

Indefinite integration is important in science because it allows us to find the general solution to a function, which can then be used to solve specific problems and make predictions. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.