Solving for Index of Refraction: 110 Degrees Angle

In summary, the problem involves using the Brewster's angle formula to find the index of refraction of varnish, given that the angle between the incident and reflected rays is 110 degrees. However, the trick is that the problem gives the sum of the incident and reflected angles, rather than the individual angles themselves. By setting the angles to the normal equal and using a diagram, the angle of incidence can be found and used to solve for the index of refraction.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

While studying physics at the library late one night, you notice the image of the desk lamp reflected from the varnished tabletop. When you turn your Polaroid sunglasses sideways, the reflected image disappears.

If this occurs when the angle between the incident and reflected rays is 110 degrees, what is the index of refraction of the varnish?

Homework Equations

tan theta = n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

I used n2 = air (1) and solved for n1 but was incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well because it is reflected, it sounds like you have a case of total internal reflection. You'll need to use sinC = 1/n.

matt72lsu said:

Homework Statement

While studying physics at the library late one night, you notice the image of the desk lamp reflected from the varnished tabletop. When you turn your Polaroid sunglasses sideways, the reflected image disappears.

If this occurs when the angle between the incident and reflected rays is 110 degrees, what is the index of refraction of the varnish?

Homework Equations

tan theta = n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

I used n2 = air (1) and solved for n1 but was incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

Ah so close. You are correct in using the Brewster's angle formula. However notice the trick in the problem. They tell you the angle between the rays NOT the angle the rays make with normal.

so would i do 180-110 or something like that? the angle thing is messing me up

matt72lsu said:
so would i do 180-110 or something like that? the angle thing is messing me up
No.
During reflection angle of incidence is equal to angle of reflection. In the problem, the sum of the angle of incidence and angle of reflection is given. from that find the angle of incidence which is the polarizing angle.

Yes what rl.bhat said is correct. If you are still having trouble thinking about it, try drawing a diagram and setting the reflected and incident angles to the normal equal. Also set the angle between the two rays equal to 110.

1. What is the index of refraction of a material?

The index of refraction of a material is a measure of how much the material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity that is typically denoted by the symbol "n".

2. How is the index of refraction related to the angle of incidence?

The index of refraction is related to the angle of incidence through Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two materials.

3. What is the angle of incidence at which the index of refraction is 110?

The angle of incidence at which the index of refraction is 110 depends on the material through which light is passing. Different materials have different indices of refraction, so the angle of incidence required to achieve an index of refraction of 110 will vary.

4. How can I solve for the index of refraction if I know the angle of incidence?

You can use Snell's law to solve for the index of refraction. Simply rearrange the equation to solve for n, plug in the known values for the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction, and solve for n.

5. What factors can affect the index of refraction of a material?

The index of refraction of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of light passing through it. Additionally, the chemical composition and structure of the material can also have an impact on its index of refraction.