Individually continuous function + monotonic = continious

In summary, an individually continuous function is a function that is continuous at each point in its domain, meaning that as the input values get closer to a particular point, the output values also get closer to the corresponding output value. A monotonic function, which either always increases or always decreases, can be either continuous or discontinuous, but when combined with individual continuity, results in a continuous function. However, an individually continuous function can still be discontinuous if there is a break or jump in the function at a particular point. Monotonicity in a function helps to prevent these breaks, ensuring that the function is continuous. The significance of a continuous function lies in its smooth and unbroken relationship between input and output values, allowing for the use
esvee

Homework Statement

Given [tex]f:{R^2} \to R[/tex].

Prove that if [tex]f[/tex] is continuous individually for each variable, and monotone in the first variable, then [tex]f[/tex] is continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I "succeeded" to "prove" it by choosing [tex]\min \left( {{\varepsilon _1},{\varepsilon _2}} \right)[/tex] of the corresponding inequalities that follow from the definition of the limit. But I did not use the monotonicity at all, that means I got it wrong :)

Explanation:

If f is cont. relative to x:

[tex] {\lim }\limits_{\left( {x,y} \right) \to \left( {{x_0},{y_0}} \right)} f\left( {x,y} \right) = f\left( {{x_0},y} \right) \Leftrightarrow \forall \varepsilon > 0,\exists {\delta _1} > 0,\left\| {\left( {x,y} \right) - \left( {{x_0},{y_0}} \right)} \right\| < {\delta _1} \Rightarrow \left| {f\left( {x,y} \right) - f\left( {{x_0},y} \right)} \right| < \varepsilon [/tex]

etc. for y.

I'm sure it must be some simple inequality trick or the like, please help me out people!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

To prove that f is continuous, we need to show that for any given point (x0,y0), the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (x0,y0) is equal to f(x0,y0). This can be done by using the definition of continuity and the given conditions.

First, let's consider the case where we fix the variable y and vary the variable x. Since f is continuous with respect to x, we can choose a small value of δ1 such that for any point (x,y) with ||(x,y)-(x0,y0)|| < δ1, we have |f(x,y)-f(x0,y0)| < ε/2, where ε is any positive number.

Next, let's consider the case where we fix the variable x and vary the variable y. Since f is continuous with respect to y, we can choose a small value of δ2 such that for any point (x,y) with ||(x,y)-(x0,y0)|| < δ2, we have |f(x,y)-f(x0,y0)| < ε/2.

Now, let's choose δ to be the minimum of δ1 and δ2. Then for any point (x,y) with ||(x,y)-(x0,y0)|| < δ, we have both |f(x,y)-f(x0,y0)| < ε/2 and |f(x,y)-f(x0,y0)| < ε/2. This means that |f(x,y)-f(x0,y0)| < ε for all points (x,y) with ||(x,y)-(x0,y0)|| < δ. Therefore, f is continuous at (x0,y0).

In conclusion, we have shown that for any given point (x0,y0), f is continuous at (x0,y0) by using the definition of continuity and the given conditions. Therefore, f is continuous for all points in R2. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an individually continuous function?

An individually continuous function is a function that is continuous at each point in its domain. This means that as the input values get closer to a particular point, the output values also get closer to the corresponding output value.

2. How is a monotonic function related to a continuous function?

A monotonic function is a function that either always increases or always decreases as the input values increase. A monotonic function can be either continuous or discontinuous, but when combined with individual continuity, it results in a continuous function.

3. Can an individually continuous function be discontinuous?

Yes, an individually continuous function can be discontinuous. This would happen if there is a jump or break in the function at a particular point, where the output value suddenly changes without approaching the corresponding input value. This break would result in a discontinuous function.

4. How is continuity affected by monotonicity in a function?

Monotonicity in a function ensures that the function is either always increasing or always decreasing, which helps to prevent any jumps or breaks in the function. This, combined with individual continuity, helps to guarantee that the function is continuous.

5. What is the significance of a continuous function?

A continuous function is significant because it represents a smooth and unbroken relationship between input and output values. This allows for the use of calculus techniques such as finding derivatives and integrals, which are essential in many scientific and mathematical applications.