Induced Magnetic Fields and Force Between Two Opposing Current Loops Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of two wire loops with current traveling in opposite directions. The question at hand is whether a force exists between the loops and in which direction (attractive or repulsive). The conversation delves into using right hand rules to determine the direction of the magnetic field and the resulting forces on the particles in the loops. The conclusion is that the two loops will experience repulsive forces due to the circular magnetic fields created.
friendbobbiny

Homework Statement

Except for the loops -- and the fact that current runs through them in opposite directions -- DISREGARD THIS DIAGRAM
20-p-017.gif

Two wire loops have current traveling in opposite directions. My problem asks me to determine whether a force exists between both loops and, if so, then in which direction (attractive or repulsive). The correct answers are "yes" and "repulsive."

I want to understand why my logic isn't sound:

Homework Equations

Right hand rules[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Induced magnetic fields oppose each other
2) To evaluate the force applied on one loop, we need to:
a) Determine the direction of the magnetic field in the other loop
b) Apply the right-hand rules on one particle of the loop in question
3) The field running through the right hand loop points leftwards
a) a particle going around the loop experiences a radially outward force
b) all particles also experience radially outward forces
c) net force should cancel

Physics news on Phys.org
Why radial outwards? The field is "circular" around the wire of loop 1, so it points in radial direction at the point where loop 2 is.

what do you meanby "circular" around the wire of loop 1? I take your description to mean:

1) Loop 1 creates a magnetic field
2) part of that magnetic field runs THROUGH loop 2
3) part of that magnetic field also runs around loop 2 on either side

Circular as in this image. If you imagine another wire nearby, running in the same direction, the wires attract or repel (based on the current direction).

You can also look at this as two magnets formed by the two loops. Since the currents oppose you will get two N or two S poles facing each other.

Related to Induced Magnetic Fields and Force Between Two Opposing Current Loops Explained

1. What is an induced magnetic field?

An induced magnetic field is a magnetic field that is generated in a material when it is subjected to a changing magnetic field. This change in the magnetic field causes the electrons in the material to align, producing a magnetic field of their own.

2. How are induced magnetic fields created?

Induced magnetic fields are created when a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field. The magnetic field induces a flow of electrons in the conductor, which creates a magnetic field around the conductor.

3. What is the force between two opposing current loops?

The force between two opposing current loops is known as the Ampere force and is caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the two loops. The force is attractive when the currents in the two loops are in the same direction and repulsive when the currents are in opposite directions.

4. How can the force between two opposing current loops be calculated?

The force between two opposing current loops can be calculated using the formula F = μ0I1I2L/2πd, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two loops, L is the length of the loops, and d is the distance between the two loops.

5. What are the practical applications of induced magnetic fields and the force between two opposing current loops?

Induced magnetic fields and the force between two opposing current loops have many practical applications, including in generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in magnetic levitation systems and in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology.