Induction heater

jeff davis
TL;DR Summary
I am wanting to to build myself an induction heater for a machine and am looking for some tips.
Hello;

I am trying to come up with an induction heater design for a machine that i am working on and am having some trouble planning it out.

Anybody have some good resources? I have scoured Google and there are tons on there. I am a bit unsure how to get started. I have an induction heater here that is 1500W and does a nice job. I did not build it; it is a commercial product.

I also purchased a cheapo on amazon that heats stuff up but is very slow going. and only heats small things. I think it is a ZVS circuit from what i have read. Is this type of circuit different from an industrial products circuit?

I would like to heat a small steel pin about 1.5" long and .250" diameter to around 600F in a few seconds for a process the machine will perform. The build of the heater is more for my own curiosity more than anything else. I don't understand the pieces in enough detail and would like to learn.

Thanks to anyone with the patience
jeff

Answers and Replies

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don’t think this is a job for an amateur who has performed research but still “doesn’t understand the pieces”—you’re liable to hurt yourself or someone else. Hire an expert or buy commercial.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nothing personal. PF has a priority on safety.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman
Mentor
A number of posts and replies have been deleted from this thread, and it is temporaily locked for Moderation.

@jeff davis -- Please send me a PM with your background information on your skills and history designing and building AC Mains based equipment like this so we can hopefully help you out. Concerns were rightfully raised that it may not be a safe project for you to pursue, but it could also be true that you do have the background and skills to do this project safely.

Thank you.

Likes anorlunda

Suggested for: Induction heater

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies