Inelastic Collision from different but not opposite directions. HELP

In summary, the problem involves two skaters colliding and embracing in an inelastic collision. Alfred, with a mass of 83 kg, is initially moving east at a speed of 6.3 km/hr, while the other skater with a mass of 55 kg is moving north at a speed of 7.8 km/hr. The velocity (magnitude and direction) after the collision can be determined by using the equation M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1+M2)V and treating momentum as a vector. The velocities of each skater should be added as vectors in components to solve the problem.
A PP4L K

Homework Statement

Two skaters collide and embrace, in a completely inelastic collision. Alfred, whose mass is 83 kg is originally moving east with a speed of 6.3km/hr. The other skater (m=55 kg) is originally moving north with a speed of 7.8km/hr. What is the velocity (magnitude and direction) after the collision?

Homework Equations

1)M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1 + M2)V’
2)F∙Δt = M∙Vf - M∙Vi
3)P = MV
4)Ft = Δp
5)I = MVF - MVi

The Attempt at a Solution

M1= 83kg
V1= 1.75 m/s
M2= 55kg
V2= 2.17 m/s

Honestly I have no idea where to even start. I know how to do regular inelastic, and elastic, collision problems. This is an extra credit problem that I am trying to do, so if anyone could show me how to work one of these out or could hint me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. So you start off with the equation M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1+M2)V'. Treat momentum as a vector and solve for it in components.

keep in mind that the velocities of each skater are on different axes
like ben.tien said, use that equation M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1 +M2)V and add the velocities as vectors in components. That should get you on the right path

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, meaning the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

What are the factors that affect an inelastic collision?

The main factors that affect an inelastic collision are the mass and velocity of the objects involved. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater loss of kinetic energy during the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, even though kinetic energy is not conserved.

Can an inelastic collision occur from different but not opposite directions?

Yes, an inelastic collision can occur from different but not opposite directions. This is known as an oblique collision. In this type of collision, the objects involved have both a component of velocity in the same direction and a component of velocity in a perpendicular direction.