1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic Collisions in 2-D

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car with mass of 950 kg and speed of 16 m/s approches an intersection in the positive x direction. A 1300-kg minivan traveling at 21m/s is heading towards the same intersection in the positive y direction. The car and minivan collide and stick together. Fine the speed and direction of the wrecked vehicles just after the collision, assuming external forces can be ignored.

2. Relevant equations
    p = mv
    [tex]\sum[/tex] p before = [tex]\sum[/tex] after

3. The attempt at a solution

Well this question was grabbed from my physics textbook as an example question.

Here are the steps they preformed:

1. Set the initial x component of momentum equal to the final x component of momentum
    m[tex]_{1}[/tex]v[tex]_{1}[/tex] = (m[tex]_{1}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex])v[tex]_{f}[/tex]cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

2. Do the same of the y component of momentum.
    m[tex]_{2}[/tex]v[tex]_{2}[/tex] = (m[tex]_{2}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex])v[tex]_{f}[/tex]sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

I understand everything up to this part, but I got confused when they divide the y momentum equation by the x momentum equation. They did it to eliminate the final velocity, giving an equation solving for [tex]\vartheta[/tex] alone.

My question is: Why is it that you can divide to eliminate variables??

Oh, and those are suppose to be subscripts, not superscripts.....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    [tex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/tex]

Just put [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos\theta[/tex]

And unknown left is v(f)

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can always divide two equations. If A = B and C=D, then the ratio A/C must equal B/D as long as C and D are not zero. This is a common trick.

5. Nov 22, 2007 #4
    ahh okay thanks.

i never did it this way before :shy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?