Solve Inertia & Rotation Homework - Value of g = 10ms^2

In summary, the question is about calculating the value of g and the inertia of a square lamina. The given attempt at a solution involves using the equation C=Ia and solving for the angular velocity using energy considerations. However, the flaw in the method is that it assumes the torque is generated by the hanging weight, when in fact it is generated by the tension in the string. An alternate approach using energy concepts is suggested. Another valid approach is to relate the net force and the couple acting on the particle and the lamina to their linear and rotational acceleration.
Faiq

Homework Statement

The question is uploaded.
Inerita.jpg

Value of g = ## \small \rm 10~ms^{-2}##
Inertia of the individual square lamina = ## \rm \small \frac{1}{12}mr^2 ~kgm^{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\ C=Ia$$
$$\ Moment~of~Weight~of~Particle=1.594a$$
$$\ 0.3*2g=1.594a$$
$$\ 6=1.594a$$
$$\ a=3.764$$
$$\ \omega^2 = 2a\theta$$
$$\ \omega^2 = 2*3.764*2*\pi$$
$$\ \omega^2 = 47.3$$
$$\ \omega = 6.88$$
However the answer given is ## \small \rm 6.52 ~rads^{-1}##
Can somebody please check my working and show me the flaw in my method?
There is also a method to solve this using energy consideration. Can somebody show me that method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force that creates the torque on the combined lamina is not the weight of the particle on the end of the string.

You might consider an alternate approach using energy concepts.

Faiq said:
Can somebody please check my working and show me the flaw in my method?
The flaw in your reasoning is that you assumed that the torque is generated by the hanging weight not by the tension in the string. The tension is less than mg otherwise the hanging mass would not accelerate down.

On edit: Apologies for repeating TSny's comment.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The flaw in your reasoning is that you assumed that the torque is generated by the hanging weight not by the tension in the string. The tension is less than mg otherwise the hanging mass would not accelerate down.
So is there a way to calculate the tension?

TSny said:
The force that creates the torque on the combined lamina is not the weight of the particle on the end of the string.

You might consider an alternate approach using energy concepts.
This was given in response to this question.
" An alternative valid approach which was also seen is to relate the net force and the couple acting on the particle and the lamina to their linear and rotational acceleration respectively."

Nevermind
Got it.

1. What is inertia and rotation?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, whether it is at rest or in motion. Rotation refers to the circular movement of an object around an axis or point.

2. How do you solve inertia and rotation problems?

To solve inertia and rotation problems, you need to use the formulas for moment of inertia and angular acceleration. These can be found in most physics textbooks or online resources. You also need to understand the concept of torque and how it relates to rotational motion.

3. What is the value of g in this problem?

The value of g in this problem is 10ms^2, which is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This value is used in most physics problems involving objects in free fall or rotational motion.

4. How does the value of g affect inertia and rotation?

The value of g affects inertia and rotation by influencing the weight and mass of an object. This, in turn, affects its moment of inertia and the amount of torque needed to accelerate or decelerate the object.

5. Can you use a different value of g in these types of problems?

Yes, you can use a different value of g in these types of problems if you are dealing with a different planet or location with a different acceleration due to gravity. However, it is important to specify the value of g being used to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy in calculations.