So, no matter what, if | a-b | is less than every positive ε, then a = b.

In summary: I specify A_j.Union game: I specify A_j... you specify x.In either case, the union or intersection is determined by both players. In the game, the players could take turns specifying the x and A_j, but they can't both specify at the same time. You can't choose an x for one A_j and then switch to a new x for another A_j. You must choose one x, and then I must specify all the A_j. That is the only way to define the union or intersection.To answer your question: no, it is not legitimate to choose a different x for each A_j. You must choose one x that is in all A_j.
Atomised
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\Lambda[/itex] = N and set A[itex]_{j}[/itex] = [j, [itex]\infty[/itex]) for j[itex]\in[/itex] N Then

j=1 to [itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\bigcap[/itex] A[itex]_{j}[/itex] = empty set

Explanation: x[itex]\in[/itex] j=1 to [itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\bigcap[/itex] provided that x belongs to every A[itex]_{j}[/itex].

This means that x satisfies j <= x <= j+1, [itex]\forall[/itex] j[itex]\in[/itex]N. But clearly this fails whenever j is a natural number strictly greater than x. In other words there are no real numbers which satisfy this criterion.

Homework Equations

I understand the importance of demonstrating that x belongs to Aj for all j

The Attempt at a Solution

Why not just choose x = j+1, thus it will belong to Aj

Homework Statement

I know this contradicts the x <= j+1 condition but I do not understand this condition, why can't x exceed j+1?

Apologies if formatting unclear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can make out what you wrote there. Write a few terms of your intersection out...

##A_1 \cap A_2 \cap A_3 \cap ... ##
##= [1,∞) \cap [2,∞) \cap [3,∞) \cap ...##

Notice as your intersection proceeds, the ##(j+1)^{th}## interval does not contain the previous ##j##. So when you intersect ##[1,∞) \cap [2,∞)##, the ##1## will not be included in the intersection and then the ##2## and so on...

So eventually you should wind up with nothing at all.

EDIT: Choosing ##x > j## ensures ##x \in A_j##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
But if you choose x to be j+1 it will always belong to Aj. ??

Atomised said:

You need to choose a fixed x, not one that changes with j. Your comment simply means that you can find, for any set, a number in THAT set - that doesn't imply that it is in all sets.

Even more specific. If you choose x to be 51 then yes, it is in A50 and A51, but it won't be in A52.

Likes 1 person
Atomised said:
Yes, that x will belong to Aj but it won't belong to A(j+1) or any A with a larger subscript. The point is that j can take on any integer value- there is no x that is in all Aj.

Likes 1 person
Here is my naïve response:

Is it possible that statdad's answer (which I'm sure is technically correct) simply exposes a flaw in this approach?

It seems to me that the delta epsilon approach to limits is of the nature of a convergent sequence, but this is of the nature of a divergent sequence and not susceptible to this approach. Of course j will eventually exceed any given x, but it is not as if any Aj will ever run out of elements.

Another garbled idea: R & N have different orders of infinitude, but all Aj are countably infinite.

Is the given answer not just a convention rather than a truth?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I do accept the conventional argument would it not be more correct to say

j <= x < j + k, k some arbitrary k in Z?

I mean the j+1 is arbitrary is it not?

This example was drawn from an excellent set of notes for an introductory course in real analysis.

Last edited:
Again, the idea is: in order for the intersection of these (or any collection) of sets to be non-empty, there has to be at least one fixed number in each one. By setting x = j but then continuing to discuss sets Aj you are not giving a fixed value: every time you select a new set you select a new x.

To attempt to save that line: suppose you fix a value j, and let x = j. Then this x is not in any Ak for k > j, so this x is not in the intersection.

Statdad: thanks your answer helps me to understand what is required. I still have a doubt and I will revisit the topic once I have more fully studied sequences.

I have proven that the problem I am currently working on is non-understandable at n, for all n.

Can somebody tell me which law of mathematics is contradicted by defining x = j+1 and rather than assuming that one must always choose x and test it first, assume instead that the mathematician must choose a (high) value for j, in order to 'escape' from x. Of course with this set up x will always belong to Aj. Is it not just a game where whoever goes first loses?

Atomised said:
Can somebody tell me which law of mathematics is contradicted by defining x = j+1 and rather than assuming that one must always choose x and test it first, assume instead that the mathematician must choose a (high) value for j, in order to 'escape' from x. Of course with this set up x will always belong to Aj. Is it not just a game where whoever goes first loses?

[tex]Let \ A_1 = [1, 1.9] \ and \ A_2 = [2, 2.9][/tex]
[tex]And \ consider \ A_1 \cap A_2[/tex]
[tex]Let \ x = j + 0.5[/tex]
[tex] If \ j = 1, \ then \ x = 1.5 \in A_1 \ and \ if \ j = 2, \ then \ x = 2.5 \in A_2.[/tex]
[tex]Hence \ x \in A_1 \cap A_2[/tex]

Hence the intersection is not empty.

Thanks Perok, point taken. How about this scheme:

Choose [itex]x_0[/itex] and when [itex]j<=x_0<=j+1[/itex]
Choose [itex]x_1[/itex] and when [itex]j<=x_1<=j+1[/itex]
Choose [itex]x_2[/itex] and when [itex]j<=x_2<=j+1[/itex]
etc ad infinitum

Then [itex]x_i[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][itex]A_j[/itex],[itex]\forall[/itex]j

Is this not legitimate mathematically?

Mathematically, the intersection is non-empty if you can find an x that is in every set. You can define x however you like, but it must be a single x. You can't choose a different x for different sets. All you're showing then is that every A_j is non-empty.

This is an important point of logic and the definition of intersection.

You mentioned a game where who goes first loses. This is quite a good analogy.

Intersection game: you specify x and I see if I can find a set that does not contain x. If the intersection is non-empty, you win; if it's empty I win.

Every set is non-empty game: you specify a set and I see whether it contains an element. If every set is non-empty I win; if at least one of the sets is empty you win.

If you're playing the intersection game, you have to stick by the rules of that game!

Likes 1 person
Although perhaps only relevant for this particular example with the interval [j,[itex]\infty[/itex]) my point is precisely that [itex]x_i[/itex] belongs to all [itex]A_j[/itex] if j<i, and that i can be set arbitrarily large - so that it is not just a case of [itex]A_j[/itex] being non-empty, but [itex]A_j[/itex] containing the same element.

How about an Aussie Rules Intersection game:

You specify subset [itex]A_j[/itex] and I give you an element that is in this and all prior [itex]A_j[/itex]?

Is that illogical?

Atomised said:
Although perhaps only relevant for this particular example with the interval [j,[itex]\infty[/itex]) my point is precisely that [itex]x_i[/itex] belongs to all [itex]A_j[/itex] if j<i, and that i can be set arbitrarily large - so that it is not just a case of [itex]A_j[/itex] being non-empty, but [itex]A_j[/itex] containing the same element.

How about an Aussie Rules Intersection game:

You specify subset [itex]A_j[/itex] and I give you an element that is in this and all prior [itex]A_j[/itex]?

Is that illogical?

That proves that every finite sub-family of sets A_j has a non-empty intersection.

Atomised said:

Is that illogical?

It's not illogical, but it loses track of the original proposition, which was that the intersection of ALL [itex]A_j[/itex] is empty. If the intersection of all [itex]A_j[/itex] were not empty, it would be possible to specify at least one real number that belongs to all of them.

BTW, I agree with your reluctance (in the original post) to accept the condition x <= j+1 as a condition of x's membership in [itex]A_j[/itex]. The only condition of x's membership in a particular [itex]A_j[/itex] is j <= x.

Likes 1 person
Perok, az_lender,

Is there a mathematical double standard here, in the following theorem

a = b iff | a - b | < ε, [itex]\forall[/itex] ε > 0

it is accepted that the difference between a and b being arbitrarily small stands for equality, why then is [itex]x[/itex]'s ability to be arbitrarily large insufficient to secure membership in any A_j?

Atomised said:
Perok, az_lender,

Is there a mathematical double standard here, in the following theorem

a = b iff | a - b | < ε, [itex]\forall[/itex] ε > 0

it is accepted that the difference between a and b being arbitrarily small stands for equality, why then is [itex]x[/itex]'s ability to be arbitrarily large insufficient to secure membership in any A_j?
"Is there a mathematical double standard here" ?

No.

According to the Law of Trichotomy, exactly one of the following must be true.
(i) a-b > 0
(ii) a-b = 0
(iii) a-b < 0​
If either (i) or (iii) is true, then you can find ε > 0 such that | a-b | > ε .

Otherwise, it must be true that a-b = 0, in which case a = b .

What is an infinite intersection?

An infinite intersection is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all elements that are common to an infinite number of sets. It is denoted by the symbol ∩ and is also known as a limit or a greatest lower bound.

How is an infinite intersection different from a finite intersection?

In a finite intersection, the sets involved have a fixed number of elements. In contrast, an infinite intersection involves an unbounded number of sets and elements, making it a more complex concept to understand and work with.

What is the significance of infinite intersections in mathematics?

Infinite intersections are important in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and analysis. They allow for the study of infinite collections of sets and can help to define important concepts such as limits and continuity.

Can an infinite intersection be empty?

Yes, an infinite intersection can be empty if there are no common elements among the sets involved. This is similar to how a finite intersection can be empty if there are no elements shared by the sets.

What are some real-world examples of infinite intersections?

One example is the set of all points that lie on the intersection of two parallel lines. In this case, the lines can be thought of as infinite sets and the intersection is an infinite intersection that contains all the points shared by the two lines.