Inflation as a phase transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between inflation and the separation of strong interaction from other interactions in the early universe. Some theories suggest that this separation was caused by a phase transition, potentially involving the Higgs Boson. However, there is no clear consensus and many early attempts to link inflation with the GUT transition have failed. To test these theories, cosmologists use observations of the cosmic microwave background and large scale structure surveys.
Vrbic
Hello,
I have heard that one of most acceptable theory (or hypothesis) describing the inflation phase of universe is that energy to this stage is drawn from phase transition when strong interaction is separated from "preinteraction" (when all interactions were undistinguishable)
Do you agree?
And my second question is: If this phase transition caused inflation, what happened when were separated electromagnetic and weak interactions? I suppose it was also phase transition no?
Thank you for comments.

Space news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
Hello,
I have heard that one of most acceptable theory (or hypothesis) describing the inflation phase of universe is that energy to this stage is drawn from phase transition when strong interaction is separated from "preinteraction" (when all interactions were undistinguishable)
Do you agree?
And my second question is: If this phase transition caused inflation, what happened when were separated electromagnetic and weak interactions? I suppose it was also phase transition no?
Thank you for comments.

They say that the Higgs Boson is responsible for the inflation of space.

Vrbic said:
Do you agree?
There can be no such thing as "agree" without explicit experimental tests.

In general, energy is not conserved in an expanding universe (you run into problems already defining the total energy). Can you give an explicit reference to where you have read these things. Otherwise it is hard to judge what you have read actually says.

Ivan Samsonov said:
They say that the Higgs Boson is responsible for the inflation of space.
The inflaton field is "responsible" for inflation. There may be a possibility that the Higgs can act as an inflaton field, but it is far from the only possibility. As above, please provide references instead of making blanket statements.

There was much interest in the early days of inflation theory in associating the inflationary expansion with phase transitions. Some of the first models of inflation attempted to use the SU(5) and similar GUT "Higgs" fields as the inflaton. These early attempts failed. The difficulty is finding a scalar field that is flat enough to drive inflation for long enough (and one that generates acceptable density perturbations), while coupling to other fields (as required by the appropriate particle physics model), since couplings tend to spoil flatness (through quantum corrections). But the idea that inflation is a sort of phase transition I think is a powerful one, and is what guided much of Guth's thinking in his original work.

Likes stoomart
Orodruin said:
There can be no such thing as "agree" without explicit experimental tests.

In general, energy is not conserved in an expanding universe (you run into problems already defining the total energy). Can you give an explicit reference to where you have read these things. Otherwise it is hard to judge what you have read actually says.
"agree" I mean, did I formulate that right?
Unfortunately it was a lecture of some profesor in our language. So without any sources. It isn't my field but it seems to me interesting.

So there isn't any well known hypotese which connecting inflation and separation of strong interaction?

bapowell said:
There was much interest in the early days of inflation theory in associating the inflationary expansion with phase transitions. Some of the first models of inflation attempted to use the SU(5) and similar GUT "Higgs" fields as the inflaton. These early attempts failed. The difficulty is finding a scalar field that is flat enough to drive inflation for long enough (and one that generates acceptable density perturbations), while coupling to other fields (as required by the appropriate particle physics model), since couplings tend to spoil flatness (through quantum corrections). But the idea that inflation is a sort of phase transition I think is a powerful one, and is what guided much of Guth's thinking in his original work.
Is there any hypotese which connecting inflation and separation of strong interaction?
And thank you for response.

Vrbic said:
Is there any hypotese which connecting inflation and separation of strong interaction?
And thank you for response.
Early attempts to associate inflation with the GUT transition (in which the strong interaction separated from electroweak) failed.

bapowell said:
Early attempts to associate inflation with the GUT transition (in which the strong interaction separated from electroweak) failed.
So we are capable to test some of these theories? What did this hypotese excluded? What experiment?

We use a wide range of cosmological observations to test models of primordial inflation, most notably measurements of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) and large scale structure (LSS) surveys. We observe temperature anisotropies in the CMB, and the pattern of this isotropy depends on the inflationary hypothesis. We can therefore test models by comparing their predictions for these isotropies with what we see in the CMB. There are many, many CMB experiments, including space probes, balloons, and ground based observatories. I would recommend googling a bit to find out more, then come back here with more specific questions.

Likes Vrbic
bapowell said:
We use a wide range of cosmological observations to test models of primordial inflation, most notably measurements of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) and large scale structure (LSS) surveys. We observe temperature anisotropies in the CMB, and the pattern of this isotropy depends on the inflationary hypothesis. We can therefore test models by comparing their predictions for these isotropies with what we see in the CMB. There are many, many CMB experiments, including space probes, balloons, and ground based observatories. I would recommend googling a bit to find out more, then come back here with more specific questions.
Ok, thank you.

1. What is inflation as a phase transition?

Inflation as a phase transition is a theoretical concept in cosmology that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages of its formation. This phase transition refers to a sudden change in the state of matter, from an extremely dense and hot state to a less dense and cooler state, which resulted in the rapid expansion of the universe.

2. How does inflation as a phase transition explain the flatness and homogeneity of the universe?

Inflation as a phase transition proposes that the rapid expansion of the universe caused by the phase transition would have smoothed out any irregularities and unevenness in the distribution of matter. This process would have resulted in a more uniform and flat universe, as observed in the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. What is the evidence for inflation as a phase transition?

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for inflation as a phase transition is the observation of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This radiation is a remnant of the early universe and is extremely uniform, providing further support for the idea of a rapid and uniform expansion.

4. How does inflation as a phase transition solve the horizon problem?

The horizon problem refers to the fact that the universe appears to be uniform and isotropic, despite the fact that different regions of the universe have not had enough time to come into thermal equilibrium. Inflation as a phase transition solves this problem by proposing that the rapid expansion of the universe brought these regions into contact, allowing them to reach equilibrium before the expansion continued.

5. Are there any competing theories to explain the early expansion of the universe?

Yes, there are several competing theories to explain the early expansion of the universe, such as the ekpyrotic model and the oscillating universe model. However, inflation as a phase transition remains one of the most widely accepted and supported explanations for the origin of the universe.