Informal experiment in IR detection

In summary, a high school student discovered that an Android camera can detect the IR signal of a remote control, while an iPhone camera cannot. This led to testing other devices and wondering about the behaviors of different remotes. The speaker then asks if others can test their devices and share their results. The speaker also shares additional data, including the fact that an iPod Nano can detect an IR bulb from a remote that operates multiple devices, which supports the speculation that remotes with wider IR ranges can operate multiple devices.
Fewmet
One of my high school students recently demonstrated that the camera in an Android will detect the IR signal of a remote control, but the camera in an iPhone will not. (I understand that screening out IR is desirable in photography, and the distinction is arguably a matter of camera or filter quality.) It led us to try out the other devices on hand and wonder about the behaviors of other devices and other remotes.

If you are willing, please look at one or more remotes through camera(s) on your device(s) and post whether or not you can see the light from the IR bulb.

For example: the remote for my lab's Sharp laptop projector is detected by the webcam on my MacBook.

Physics news on Phys.org
A little more data (in hopes of eliciting more responses):
a) Neither the iPod Classic or Nano were tested picked a bulb removed from a remote (the student did not know the maker of the remote)
b) I tired the remote (which bears only the name Time-Warner Cable) that operates my VCR, Cable box and TV has two lights on it. They are detected by my iPod nano and by mmy MacBook webcam.

This (taken with the earlier observation that the iPod Nano picked up another IR bulb) is consistent with speculation that a remote which operates multiple devices has a wider IR range.

Related to Informal experiment in IR detection

1. What is an informal experiment in IR detection?

An informal experiment in IR detection is a scientific inquiry that is conducted without strict adherence to formal experimental procedures. It involves using basic materials and equipment to test a hypothesis or answer a research question related to infrared (IR) detection.

2. How is an informal experiment in IR detection different from a formal experiment?

An informal experiment in IR detection differs from a formal experiment in that it does not follow a strict protocol, may not have a control group, and may not have a predetermined sample size. It is often used for exploratory research or to gain preliminary data before conducting a formal experiment.

3. What are some common materials and equipment used in an informal experiment in IR detection?

Common materials and equipment used in an informal experiment in IR detection include an IR source (such as a heat lamp), an IR detector (such as a thermocouple or IR camera), a power source, and various objects to test for IR detection (such as different types of fabric or materials).

4. What are some potential applications of informal experiments in IR detection?

Informal experiments in IR detection can have a wide range of applications, including testing the effectiveness of IR-blocking materials for insulation, studying the thermal properties of different materials, and exploring the use of IR technology in security systems or medical devices.

5. What are some limitations of informal experiments in IR detection?

Informal experiments in IR detection may have limitations in terms of validity and reliability. Without strict control of variables and a large sample size, the results may not be generalizable to a larger population. It is important to use caution when interpreting the results of an informal experiment and to follow up with more formal research if needed.