What happens to the information entering a Black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fate of information that enters a black hole, which is a topic of ongoing research and debate. The current hypothesis is that the information is retained at the Event Horizon and exits as Hawking Radiation as the black hole evaporates, but there are other contending hypotheses. This was the subject of a 30-year battle between Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking, which was eventually documented in Susskind's book "The Black Hole War: My Battle With Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics". The conversation ends with the reminder that this is still an open area of research, with many published papers on different hypotheses.
STAR GIRL
What happens to the information entering to the Black hole??

Space news on Phys.org
STAR GIRL said:
What happens to the information entering to the Black hole??
Supposedly it is retained at the Event Horizon and exits as Hawking Radiation as the BH evaporates. Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking has a 30-year running battle about exactly this and Susskind, at the end, when Hawking had conceded defeat, wrote a book about it: "The Black Hole War: My Battle With Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics".

Likes QuantumQuest
phinds said:
Supposedly it is retained at the Event Horizon and exits as Hawking Radiation as the BH evaporates. Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking has a 30-year running battle about exactly this and Susskind, at the end, when Hawking had conceded defeat, wrote a book about it: "The Black Hole War: My Battle With Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics".
I am asking about Black Hole Information Paradox sir..

STAR GIRL said:
I am asking about Black Hole Information Paradox sir..
And I answered exactly that. That's what the 30-year battle and the book are about.

Likes STAR GIRL
STAR GIRL said:
What happens to the information entering to the Black hole?

We don't know. This is an open area of research. The hypothesis that phinds referred to appears to be the current front runner, but we have no way of testing anything in this regime. There are plenty of published papers on all of the contending hypotheses. If you have more specific questions about a particular hypothesis, it would be best to start a new thread referencing a specific paper.

Thread closed.

Likes QuantumQuest

1. What is the concept of "information under black hole"?

The concept of "information under black hole" refers to the idea that any matter or energy that falls into a black hole is lost forever, making it impossible to retrieve or gather any information about it.

2. How does the loss of information under a black hole violate the laws of physics?

The loss of information under a black hole goes against the principle of quantum mechanics, which states that information cannot be destroyed. This creates a contradiction with the theory of general relativity, which explains the behavior of black holes.

3. Can any information be extracted from a black hole?

It is currently believed that no information can be extracted from a black hole. However, some theories, such as the holographic principle, suggest that information about what falls into a black hole may be encoded on the event horizon, but this is still a topic of debate.

4. How do black holes affect the concept of time?

According to the theory of general relativity, time near a black hole's event horizon is affected by its intense gravitational pull. This means that time moves slower near a black hole compared to areas with weaker gravitational fields.

5. What are the potential implications of information being lost under black holes?

The loss of information under black holes has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It challenges our current theories and could potentially lead to the development of new theories to reconcile this contradiction.