Initial acceleration of two particles on a rod

In summary, the initial acceleration of particle A is 0.6g divided by the sum of the squares of the distances of particles A and B from the fulcrum, multiplied by the distance of particle A from the fulcrum. The initial acceleration of particle B is 0.6g divided by the sum of the squares of the distances of particles A and B from the fulcrum, multiplied by the distance of particle B from the fulcrum.
DeviantSOP
Two particles(A and B) each of mass 10kg are attached to a massless rod on each on opposite ends of the rod. The rod is placed horizontally on a fulcrum. Particle A is 10 cm away from the fulcrum. And particle B is 70cm away from the fulcrum. The rod is now released.
What is the magnitude of the initial acceleration of particle A?
What is the magnitude of the initial acceleration of particle A?

My solution so far
B_torque - A_torque
= mgb - mga
= mg(0.7)-mg(0.1)
=0.6mg

Torque = Iα
I = m(a^2 + b ^2)
Thats the only thing I can think off right now. Totally stuck have no idea what to do.
Wasn't in class when this lesson was given so i have no idea what i am doing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My solution so far
B_torque - A_torque
= mgb - mga
= mg(0.7)-mg(0.1)
=0.6mg

Torque = Iα
I = m(r_a^2 + r_b^2)

0.6mg = m(r_a^2 + r_b^2) * α
α = 0.6g / (r_a^2 + r_b^2)

α = a * r
a = α/r

Acceleration of a = (0.6g / (r_a^2 + r_b^2) ) / 0.1
Acceleration of b = (0.6g / (r_a^2 + r_b^2)) / 0.7Thats the only thing I can think off right now. Totally stuck have no idea what to do.
Wasn't in class when this lesson was given so i have no idea what i am doing.

Last edited:
Hi DeviantSOP,

DeviantSOP said:
My solution so far
B_torque - A_torque
= mgb - mga
= mg(0.7)-mg(0.1)
=0.6mg

Torque = Iα
I = m(r_a^2 + r_b^2)

α = a * r
a = α/r

I don't think these two equations are correct; for example, check the units on each side. Do you see what they need to be?

alphysicist said:
Hi DeviantSOP,

I don't think these two equations are correct; for example, check the units on each side. Do you see what they need to be?

Not really sure what's wrong with them. I used net torque = Iα and then I = mr^2 and also α = a * r .
As I said earlier, i have no idea what I am doing.

DeviantSOP said:
Not really sure what's wrong with them. I used net torque = Iα and then I = mr^2 and also α = a * r .
As I said earlier, i have no idea what I am doing.

The relationship between linear (tangential) acceleration and angular acceleration is

[tex]
a= r \alpha
[/tex]

so I believe you had the r on the wrong side of the equation.

alphysicist said:
The relationship between linear (tangential) acceleration and angular acceleration is

[tex]
a= r \alpha
[/tex]

so I believe you had the r on the wrong side of the equation.

Ha, can't believe I missed that. Thanks a lot. Amending my solution.

My solution so far
B_torque - A_torque
= mgb - mga
= mg(0.7)-mg(0.1)
=0.6mg

Torque = Iα
I = m(r_a^2 + r_b^2)

a = α * r

Acceleration of a = (0.6g / (r_a^2 + r_b^2)) * 0.1
Acceleration of b = (0.6g / (r_a^2 + r_b^2)) * 0.7

Q: What is the initial acceleration of two particles on a rod?

The initial acceleration of two particles on a rod is the rate of change of their velocity at the beginning of their motion. It is affected by factors such as the mass of the particles, the length and stiffness of the rod, and any external forces acting on the particles.

Q: How is the initial acceleration of two particles on a rod calculated?

The initial acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass. In the case of two particles on a rod, the net force would be the sum of the forces acting on both particles, and the mass would be the combined mass of the two particles.

Q: What is the difference between initial acceleration and average acceleration?

The initial acceleration is the acceleration at the beginning of the motion, while average acceleration is the average rate of change of velocity over a specific time period. Initial acceleration only takes into account the first instant of motion, while average acceleration considers the entire duration of motion.

Q: How does the initial acceleration of two particles on a rod affect their motion?

The initial acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the subsequent motion of the particles. It determines the speed and direction at which the particles will move and how quickly they will reach their maximum velocity. A greater initial acceleration will result in a faster and more pronounced change in velocity.

Q: Can the initial acceleration of two particles on a rod be negative?

Yes, the initial acceleration can be negative. This would indicate that the particles are initially decelerating, or slowing down, at the beginning of their motion. This could occur if there is a larger force acting in the opposite direction of the particles' motion, or if there is a decrease in the stiffness of the rod causing it to bend and exert a force on the particles in the opposite direction.