Integrating Initial Condition Problems: Finding the Constant of Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation (y ' = (xysinx)/ (y+1)) with the initial condition y(0) = 1. The person used variable separation to solve and was wondering about the resulting equation. They were able to simplify it and find a constant, which they confirmed by plugging in the initial condition.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

They give me y ' = (xysinx)/ (y+1) , y(0) = 1

Homework Equations

So I just separated and integrated

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm 99 percent sure I'm OK up till here. I just wanted to get an explanation for something.

I was wondering my answer is y + ln(y) = sinx -xcosx +C
So there is no way to write this so I just have y on the right. So what am I to say? There is an example similar in my book they does this mean I can't find the constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm 99 percent sure I'm OK up till here. I just wanted to get an explanation for something.

Sure. This differential equation is variable separable.

So there is no way to write this so I just have y on the right. So what am I to say? There is an example similar in my book they does this mean I can't find the constant?

I think that the initial condition is, at x=0, y=1. Well the equation can be simplified as,

ln(yey) = sinx -xcosx +C
yey = ke(sinx -xcosx), where k is another constant. But does this lead to anything ?

ln(y(e^y)) = sinx -xcosx +C
How did you get this?

Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Just put x=0 and y=1 in that last equation to evaluate C.

This last equation ?
y + ln(y) = sinx -xcosx +C

Yes.

Got it thanks

Related to Integrating Initial Condition Problems: Finding the Constant of Integration

1. What is the initial condition problem?

The initial condition problem, also known as the problem of determination, is a philosophical issue related to causation. It refers to the question of how to account for the initial state or conditions that led to a particular event or phenomenon.

2. Why is the initial condition problem important?

The initial condition problem is important because it raises questions about the nature of causation and determinism. It also has implications for fields such as physics, where the ability to accurately predict the future based on initial conditions is crucial.

3. How does the initial condition problem relate to chaos theory?

Chaos theory suggests that small differences in initial conditions can lead to significantly different outcomes. This means that even if we have perfect knowledge of initial conditions, our ability to predict the future may be limited. The initial condition problem highlights this limitation and raises questions about the determinism of the universe.

4. Can the initial condition problem be solved?

There is no clear consensus on whether the initial condition problem can be solved. Some argue that it is a fundamental limitation of our understanding of causation, while others believe that further scientific advancements may provide a solution. Ultimately, the answer to this question may depend on one's philosophical beliefs about determinism.

5. How does the initial condition problem relate to free will?

The initial condition problem has implications for the debate between determinism and free will. If initial conditions ultimately determine all future events, then it could be argued that free will does not exist. However, others may argue that our actions and choices are not solely determined by initial conditions, and that we still have some level of agency in shaping our own future.