Initial velocity of home run hit

In summary, the longest home run ever measured, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was hit by Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle in a minor league game. The ball traveled 188 m (618 ft) before landing outside the ballpark. To determine the initial speed of the ball needed to produce such a home run, the given equations must be used, accounting for the ball being hit at a point 0.9 m (3.0 ft) above ground level and ignoring air resistance. Combining two equations and solving for the initial velocity can help solve the problem.
Kr.m.h.

Homework Statement

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest home run ever measured was hit by Roy “Dizzy” Carlyle in a minor league game. The ball traveled 188 m (618 ft ) before landing on the ground outside the ballpark.
Assuming the ball's initial velocity was 52 ∘ above the horizontal and ignoring air resistance, what did the initial speed of the ball need to be to produce such a home run if the ball was hit at a point 0.9 m (3.0 ft ) above ground level? Assume that the ground was perfectly flat.

Homework Equations

ΔX=Vicos(θ)T
ΔY=Visin(θ)T+.5aT2
Vx=Vicos(θ)T
Vy=Visin(θ)+aT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the final velocity in the Y direction will be zero and the final position in the Y direction will also be zero. If I could solve for how long the baseball is in the air I could use the second equation I listed and solve for the initial velocity since the accelration is equal to -9.8m/s2. I'm not completely sure of how to go about solving this problem and I feel like there's something I'm over looking. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use more than one equation. Start by listing everything you know and see if you can combine two equations. Careful: does your equation list account for the projectile (ball) starting higher than were it ends up.

I, personally, solve these questions using v-t graphs.

1. What is the definition of "initial velocity"?

Initial velocity refers to the speed at which an object is launched or thrown from a stationary position.

2. How is the initial velocity of a home run hit calculated?

The initial velocity of a home run hit is calculated by dividing the total distance the ball travels by the time it takes to reach that distance. This gives the average velocity, which is considered the initial velocity.

3. Does the initial velocity affect the distance a home run is hit?

Yes, the initial velocity plays a significant role in determining the distance a home run is hit. The higher the initial velocity, the further the ball will travel, assuming all other factors such as air resistance and elevation remain constant.

4. What factors can affect the initial velocity of a home run hit?

The initial velocity of a home run hit can be affected by several factors, including the angle at which the ball is hit, the force applied by the batter, the weight and material of the bat, and environmental factors such as wind and temperature.

5. How does the initial velocity of a home run hit compare to other sports?

The initial velocity of a home run hit is typically higher than that of other sports, such as basketball and soccer, due to the use of a bat and the ability to apply more force to the ball. However, it may be lower compared to sports such as golf or tennis, where specialized equipment and techniques are used to increase initial velocity.