Install App on iOS Device from Local Folder

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Local
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of getting an app onto an iOS device and alternatives for testing apps on real devices. It was mentioned that one could use XCode on a Mac to test the app, while on a PC, an IDE with a connected device could be used. MLFlow was also suggested as a possible solution for loading software for different environments.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
How to install apps locally?
Given that I have a little personal app, developed on pc, tested (under iOS) and running. How can I get the app on my iOS device? All I have is a folder with a lot of files in it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm currently looking into a product called ML Flow that might work for you.

Borg said:
I'm currently looking into a product called ML Flow that might work for you.
Does this post belong in a different thread?

jedishrfu said:
My understanding is that you can't sideload an app onto iOS instead you must signup as a developer upload it to the app store and then download it to your device.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3161061/can-i-put-my-own-app-on-just-my-iphone
@vela was right: the IDE company has an app at the store that installed an environment in which the IDE developed projects could be tested, and the "tests" work even without its server. At the beginning I only saw the simulator in the IDE, but it also connected to the device.

pbuk said:
Does this post belong in a different thread?
MLFlow has the capability of loading software for various environmental deployments. I haven't worked with iOS before so I didn't know if it was a workable solution.

What is the process for installing an app on an iOS device from a local folder?

The process for installing an app on an iOS device from a local folder involves the following steps:

• 1. Connect your iOS device to your computer using a USB cable.
  • 2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  • 3. Click on the device icon in the top left corner of iTunes.
  • 4. Select the "Apps" tab.
  • 5. Scroll down to the "File Sharing" section.
  • 6. Click on the app you want to install from the list of apps.
  • 7. Click on "Add..." and select the app file from your local folder.
  • 8. The app will be installed on your iOS device.

Do I need a developer account to install an app on an iOS device from a local folder?

No, you do not need a developer account to install an app on an iOS device from a local folder. However, you will need a developer account if you want to distribute the app on the App Store.

Can I install any app from a local folder on my iOS device?

No, you can only install apps that have been built for installation on an iOS device. This means the app must be in a .ipa or .app format, and it must be signed by a developer certificate.

What happens to the app on my iOS device if I delete the app file from my local folder?

If you delete the app file from your local folder, the app will still remain on your iOS device. However, you will not be able to update or reinstall the app unless you have a new copy of the app file.

Can I install an app on multiple iOS devices from a single app file in my local folder?

Yes, you can install an app on multiple iOS devices from a single app file in your local folder. However, each device will need to be connected to your computer and go through the installation process individually.