Calculating Inst. Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about calculating acceleration using the formula a=(v-vo)/t, where a represents acceleration in m/s2, v represents final velocity in m/s, vo represents initial velocity in m/s, and t represents time in seconds. The person is not sure how to calculate the instantaneous acceleration and is seeking help to understand the concept of acceleration as the rate of change of velocity.
Miike012
I am not sure how to calc. the inst acc...
The velocity was easy but I am not sure about the acceleration?/

Attachments

• sdsdsds.jpg
    sdsdsds.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

ok for velocity I got 10.1 m/s and 10.25 m/s ...
so substract them is what you are telling me?

Both are functions of time, so just subtracting them will not be sufficient. Do you know a function for acceleration you can use? You can obtain it by taking the derivative of the function for velocity.

im not in calc based phy

I see, sorry about that.

Here's some information that you can use to solve this problem. I don't want to tell you too much because it is good for you to think about it. :smile:

a=(v-vo)/t

where

a=acceleration (m/s2)
v=final velocity (m/s)
vo=initial velocity (m/s)
t=time (s).

1. What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. It measures how quickly the velocity of an object is changing at a particular instant.

2. How is instantaneous acceleration calculated?

Instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time at a specific instant. This can be represented by the equation a = Δv / Δt.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

The average acceleration of an object over a period of time is the overall change in velocity divided by the total time elapsed. In contrast, instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

4. How does instantaneous acceleration relate to position and velocity?

Instantaneous acceleration is closely related to both an object's position and velocity. It is the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time, and the second derivative of the position function with respect to time.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of instantaneous acceleration?

The calculation of instantaneous acceleration can be affected by external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance. It can also be influenced by the direction and magnitude of the object's velocity and changes in its position over time.